posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Gasahol Blues

For years now, I have been fighting the problems keeping my 4
stroke Ymmaha T9.9 running. Even with adding preservatives to
the gas tank, replacing the fuel delivery system, and adding
a 19 micron filter inline with the gas feed, the tiny jets on
this engine occasionally block up. Nothing helps short of tearing
down the carb to clean them. Most of the modern gas engines have
these small jets that continually block up. Gasahol is mostly to
blame either because it dissolves any loose dirt in your system
or breaks down into something that eventually blocks the carbs.

Now we have an increase of alcohol being pushed by our farmers
to 15 per cent instead of the current 10 percent. This is sure
to make the problem worse. The engine manufacturer's have not
come up with a really good solution. Just band-aid fixes like
adding inline filters and preservatives to the gas. This is
taking all the fun out of boating and can even be a safety issue.

Sherwin

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 02:13:41 -0500, sherwin dubren
wrote:

For years now, I have been fighting the problems keeping my 4
stroke Ymmaha T9.9 running. Even with adding preservatives to
the gas tank, replacing the fuel delivery system, and adding

a 19 micron filter inline with the gas feed, the tiny jets on
this engine occasionally block up.

**** goes through the filter and plugs things. Getting a finer grain
filter is a no brainer.

Nothing helps short of tearin down the carb to clean them. Most of the modern gas engines have
these small jets that continually block up.

If you quit putting known dirty gas in your equipment that will help.

Gasahol is mostly to
blame either because it dissolves any loose dirt in your system
or breaks down into something that eventually blocks the carbs.

Now we have an increase of alcohol being pushed by our farmers
to 15 per cent instead of the current 10 percent. This is sure
to make the problem worse. The engine manufacturer's have not
come up with a really good solution. Just band-aid fixes like
adding inline filters and preservatives to the gas. This is
taking all the fun out of boating and can even be a safety issue.

It is not all that difficult to remove alcohol from gasoline. Just add
maybe 20% waterand shake well. Then pour off the upper gasoline layer
and discard the lower
water layer that has all the alcohol in it. Get the local fuel dealer
to drop off a 300 gallon barrel. You can add the water and stir with
compressed air, then drain the water.

Casady
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Jul 27, 9:23*am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:36:43 -0400, wrote:
I don't run any sort of inline filter, but if you are having trouble,
due to rust or bad gas, I would suggest that 19 micron is pretty
coarse as your defense. I would have a 10 as my coarse filter and a 2
micron filter between that and the engine.

The filter is good advice. * We were having problems with our 4 stroke
Honda dinghy engine until I added an external filter. * Since adding
the filter, no problems. * When I dump out the filter after changing
the element, there is always a fair amount of crud and water.

QUESTION / SURVEY (NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT)
I work at a major marine supplies retailer, and we are featuring
"Star-Tron" fuel additive. It claims to resolve ethanol problems as
well as "old" gas. The deisel version claims to reduce biological
growth in the tank. As we are serious boaters, I want to be as honest
and helpful as possible. When I point out the product, many customers
tell me they use and like it. Other staff boaters tell me the same. I
am interested in your input on this product, good or bad. Please let
me know if you use the gas or deisel form, and how long you have used
it. Have you noticed a difference? Good or bad? any anecdotes are
welcome.

Fair winds and good gas,
Jayhearts

sherwin dubren wrote:
[...]

My neighbor, the fuel polisher, is getting more and more calls to
suck out old gasohol and dispose of it. Makin money!
BTW, the problem in the 4 stroke little engines is an epa deal. There
is a hidden adjustment on most.
On the Hondas, there is an adjuster on the side of the carb that is
limited by a little cap. Use a little torch to heat the solder holding
the cap on. With the cap off, a little extra turn and the engine will
run great.
The Yam probably has a cover over the adjuster as I had on a little
road bike.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:04:09 -0700 (PDT), jayhearts
wrote:

QUESTION / SURVEY (NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT)
I work at a major marine supplies retailer, and we are featuring
"Star-Tron" fuel additive. It claims to resolve ethanol problems as
well as "old" gas. The deisel version claims to reduce biological
growth in the tank. As we are serious boaters, I want to be as honest
and helpful as possible. When I point out the product, many customers
tell me they use and like it. Other staff boaters tell me the same. I
am interested in your input on this product, good or bad. Please let
me know if you use the gas or deisel form, and how long you have used
it. Have you noticed a difference? Good or bad? any anecdotes are
welcome.

Fair winds and good gas,
Jayhearts

Your post sounds suspiciously self serving but I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt. A professional fuel polisher with a good
reputation told me that the diesel product he prefers is Pri-D. He
also said that Biobor is effective but that Pri-D creates smaller
"clumps" when the bacteria precipitate out. Smaller clumps are
desirable because they are less likely to accumulate in the bottom of
the tank and clog the fuel feed.

For gasoline Sta-Bil seems to be the product of choice among people
that I know. I've also used it myself with good results.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

Will that change the effective octane rating of the remaining gasoline?

Mark Borgerson

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
You You is offline

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

and adding
a 19 micron filter inline with the gas feed

Geez Louise, what are you trying to filter out, Wood chips, or sand?

Get yourself a Racor Water Separator/Filter that has a, not larger than
2 Micron spec and be done with the whole problem.

Friday Morning Blues! Loogypicker[_2_] General 1 April 30th 10 05:25 PM
End of Season Blues Boater General 30 October 25th 08 02:22 PM
Monday Morning Blues Joe ASA 1 September 10th 07 07:14 PM
Blues, Brews, and Canoes [email protected] General 5 May 5th 05 04:45 AM
Them Liberal Blues. Harry Krause General 2 August 13th 03 02:19 AM