posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default Gasahol Blues

Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:04:09 -0700 (PDT), jayhearts
wrote:

QUESTION / SURVEY (NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT)
I work at a major marine supplies retailer, and we are featuring
"Star-Tron" fuel additive. It claims to resolve ethanol problems as
well as "old" gas. The deisel version claims to reduce biological
growth in the tank. As we are serious boaters, I want to be as honest
and helpful as possible. When I point out the product, many customers
tell me they use and like it. Other staff boaters tell me the same. I
am interested in your input on this product, good or bad. Please let
me know if you use the gas or deisel form, and how long you have used
it. Have you noticed a difference? Good or bad? any anecdotes are
welcome.

Fair winds and good gas,
Jayhearts

Your post sounds suspiciously self serving but I'll give you the
benefit of the doubt. A professional fuel polisher with a good
reputation told me that the diesel product he prefers is Pri-D. He
also said that Biobor is effective but that Pri-D creates smaller
"clumps" when the bacteria precipitate out. Smaller clumps are
desirable because they are less likely to accumulate in the bottom of
the tank and clog the fuel feed.

For gasoline Sta-Bil seems to be the product of choice among people
that I know. I've also used it myself with good results.

I also use Sta-Bil - marine formula.
Our marina still has non-alcohol contaminated fuel at the gas pump.
But I sometimes do bring in auto gas, and other marinas - who knows?

So far, no problems, though.

--

Richard Lamb

wrote:

[...]

Get ready for this problem to get much worse and to waste far more oil
than it saves. Marinas are soon not going to be able to get ethanol
free fuels and the ethanol content is due to increase. The economic
cost of ethanol in fuel runs into the tens of billions each year with
as much fuel dumped due to being contaminated with water as leaked
during the gulf oil spill. The ethanol in fuel is one of the
stupidest things ever to be pushed by enviro types and had done more
damage to the environment than the gulf oil spill.
Consider the millions of people with small gas engines who when
finding the fuel is bad simply dump it on the ground.Consider millions
of boaters who find they have an entire fuel tank with contaminated
fuel simply dump it because there is no good way to dispose of it.
The damage done by the use of such fuel is greater than anything BP
could have done.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:09:02 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

For gasoline Sta-Bil seems to be the product of choice among people
that I know. I've also used it myself with good results.

Star-Tron is the way to go. I've been using it now for a couple of
years in both the Grady and Ranger - not a hickup. Sta-Bil did have
some problems a few years ago when ethanol was first introduced and
were late to the party, but they also changed their forumulation a
little to adjust. Star-tron was formulated for ethanol gasolines - I
think the representative said up to 20% ethanol, but don't quote me on
that - it was at the Boston Boat Show a couple/three years ago.

So far, it's been great.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Is this "Cave Lamb Himself" ???

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:27:03 -0700, Mark Borgerson
wrote:

It is not all that difficult to remove alcohol from gasoline. Just add
maybe 20% waterand shake well. Then pour off the upper gasoline layer
and discard the lower
water layer that has all the alcohol in it. Get the local fuel dealer
to drop off a 300 gallon barrel. You can add the water and stir with
compressed air, then drain the water.

Will that change the effective octane rating of the remaining gasoline?

Ethanol, and the methanol my car uses, propane, acetone, toluene they
all rate 100 octane. If you take it out it will lower the octane three
points or so to the level you have with the upblended gas sold as
such.

Casady

wrote:
[...]

I use the regular Sta-Bil around the house, and the Marine Sta-Bil on
the boat with every tank at the maintenance dose. It doesn't get
stored long enough in "winter" to worry about it. Never had an issue.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

sherwin dubren wrote:
For years now, I have been fighting the problems keeping my 4
stroke Ymmaha T9.9 running. Even with adding preservatives to
the gas tank, replacing the fuel delivery system, and adding
a 19 micron filter inline with the gas feed, the tiny jets on
this engine occasionally block up. Nothing helps short of tearing
down the carb to clean them. Most of the modern gas engines have
these small jets that continually block up. Gasahol is mostly to
blame either because it dissolves any loose dirt in your system
or breaks down into something that eventually blocks the carbs.

Now we have an increase of alcohol being pushed by our farmers
to 15 per cent instead of the current 10 percent. This is sure
to make the problem worse. The engine manufacturer's have not
come up with a really good solution. Just band-aid fixes like
adding inline filters and preservatives to the gas. This is
taking all the fun out of boating and can even be a safety issue.

Sherwin

I have fuel infection but that is also susceptible to clogs and
failure. I have been using this in my boat and ATV for years will good
results:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

It's a lot cheaper than Yamaha's version of the same product.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

I am Tosk wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

No, that's the other one...

--

Richard Lamb

"Larry" wrote in message
sherwin dubren wrote:
[...]

That stuff has a good reputation but After putting two cans of the stuff
through the fuel system on my bike I still had to have the carbs cleaned.
--
Me

Friday Morning Blues! Loogypicker[_2_] General 1 April 30th 10 05:25 PM
End of Season Blues Boater General 30 October 25th 08 02:22 PM
Monday Morning Blues Joe ASA 1 September 10th 07 07:14 PM
Blues, Brews, and Canoes [email protected] General 5 May 5th 05 04:45 AM
Them Liberal Blues. Harry Krause General 2 August 13th 03 02:19 AM