posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Gasahol Blues

The key is recognizing the 90 day life of this fuel. After 90 days it starts to gel. You must empty the tank, flush the fuel line
and drain the carb before letting it stand or suffer the consequences. It's a pain, but it only takes a few minutes.
Steve

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message ...
For years now, I have been fighting the problems keeping my 4
stroke Ymmaha T9.9 running. Even with adding preservatives to
the gas tank, replacing the fuel delivery system, and adding
a 19 micron filter inline with the gas feed, the tiny jets on
this engine occasionally block up. Nothing helps short of tearing
down the carb to clean them. Most of the modern gas engines have
these small jets that continually block up. Gasahol is mostly to
blame either because it dissolves any loose dirt in your system
or breaks down into something that eventually blocks the carbs.

Now we have an increase of alcohol being pushed by our farmers
to 15 per cent instead of the current 10 percent. This is sure
to make the problem worse. The engine manufacturer's have not
come up with a really good solution. Just band-aid fixes like
adding inline filters and preservatives to the gas. This is
taking all the fun out of boating and can even be a safety issue.

Sherwin