posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default Gasahol Blues

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 02:13:41 -0500, sherwin dubren
wrote:

For years now, I have been fighting the problems keeping my 4
stroke Ymmaha T9.9 running. Even with adding preservatives to
the gas tank, replacing the fuel delivery system, and adding

a 19 micron filter inline with the gas feed, the tiny jets on
this engine occasionally block up.

**** goes through the filter and plugs things. Getting a finer grain
filter is a no brainer.

Nothing helps short of tearin down the carb to clean them. Most of the modern gas engines have
these small jets that continually block up.

If you quit putting known dirty gas in your equipment that will help.

Gasahol is mostly to
blame either because it dissolves any loose dirt in your system
or breaks down into something that eventually blocks the carbs.

Now we have an increase of alcohol being pushed by our farmers
to 15 per cent instead of the current 10 percent. This is sure
to make the problem worse. The engine manufacturer's have not
come up with a really good solution. Just band-aid fixes like
adding inline filters and preservatives to the gas. This is
taking all the fun out of boating and can even be a safety issue.

It is not all that difficult to remove alcohol from gasoline. Just add
maybe 20% waterand shake well. Then pour off the upper gasoline layer
and discard the lower
water layer that has all the alcohol in it. Get the local fuel dealer
to drop off a 300 gallon barrel. You can add the water and stir with
compressed air, then drain the water.

Will that change the effective octane rating of the remaining gasoline?

Mark Borgerson