Default Fun morning

I had a security (alarm) system installed yesterday. The sales guy had
visited last week and although he talked my ear off about things I had no
interest in, we successfully entered into a contract and scheduled the
installation.

The installers did a great job. They took the time to explain how
everything works. Like most microprocessor based systems it is capable of
far more than I will ever need or want.
I like simple, so I asked the installers for the easiest way to arm and
disarm the system.
My shop is so small I don't even need the option of "away" and "stay" modes.

They said the easiest way is to simply punch in my code when I leave. After
a 60 second delay the system becomes fully armed. When I want to re-enter,
just enter and punch the code in within a certain time frame to disable.
Simple enough.

This morning the sales dude shows up again to "inspect" the installer's
work. This guy is a classic sales type. Talks too much and doesn't know
what he's talking about. He wanted to sit and go over all the programming
features and options on the system. I politely told him I really had no
need for them and was very satisfied with the simple procedure that the
installers described (and demonstrated).

He wouldn't give up. Kept insisting that he show me all the options. I
kept trying to explain (during his short moments of silence) that I didn't
need or want to learn about all the feature. Don't need them.

He continued. I was slowly losing patience. I described the very simple
and basic procedure the installers showed me. The sales dude said they
were wrong. It wouldn't arm the motion sensors, according to him.

Now I am starting to get a little fired up. I explained again for the
third time that we demonstrated it while the installers were there. We all
stayed in the building, I armed the system by entering my code and, after
the delay the system armed. As soon as one of us moved, the alarm went
off, sensed by the motion sensors.

The sales guy said it can't be. You *have* to select one of the modes. I
said, "no you don't".
He tried again to instruct me on all the features.

By this time I had lost it. I told him he talked too much and doesn't
*listen* to what is being said.
He replied with, "Richard, I am a security expert".

I responded with, "You are a pain in the ass and don't listen. Get out of
here; you are really starting to **** me off."

He tries again to yap about the system "features". I got up from behind
the counter. I think he saw the look in my eye because he beat feet out the
door, got in his BMW and drove off.

After I calmed down I called the security company (ADT) for technical
assistance. They confirmed that the procedure I was using worked fine. I
mentioned that the sales guy says it won't.
She said to listen and do what the installers said and that the sales types
really don't always know what they are talking about.

I thanked her and told her if she sees a nervous sales type in a BMW arrive
at the office, be kind because I just threw him out of my shop. She
laughed like hell and said, "GOOD!"

Eisboch

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:33:01 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

He wouldn't give up. Kept insisting that he show me all the options. I
kept trying to explain (during his short moments of silence) that I didn't
need or want to learn about all the feature. Don't need them.

Heh. I've had a couple salesmen I've had to almost physically remove
from my house.
Sort of fun actually. Gets the blood flowing.
Strange thing is, these types do a lot of sales.

--Vic

wrote:

He wouldn't give up. Kept insisting that he show me all the options. I
kept trying to explain (during his short moments of silence) that I
didn't
need or want to learn about all the feature. Don't need them.

Heh. I've had a couple salesmen I've had to almost physically remove
from my house.
Sort of fun actually. Gets the blood flowing.
Strange thing is, these types do a lot of sales.

--Vic

I knew I was in trouble last week when he came in the first time.
Motormouth.
Had no interest in what *I* wanted .... only what he sold.

Another issue came up during this morning's visit. My only concern about
the system is that by default they program a 45 second entry delay on the
front door. Purpose is to allow you to open the door, enter your code and
disable the system. Typical home or business setup.

Only problem is that my shop is so small that in 45 seconds I could walk
away with almost half the guitars hanging on the wall. I timed it. 45
seconds is a long time.

I asked if that time could be shortened to 10 or 15 seconds. He said "No.
45 seconds is required by law."

I said, "That sorta defeats the whole purpose of the alarm system. In 45
seconds I could remove half of what's in here."

He insisted. The Law.

When I called the tech support later I asked about this. She said the
default is 45 seconds however I could request it be shortened to as little
as 10 seconds by filing a request. No charge.
They can even make it no delay and you use an FOB key to remotely disarm it
before opening the door.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry life is so difficult for you.

HK wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Why so much vitriol today Krausie. Do you feel you have been unjustly
abused, lately?

On Jun 25, 1:47*pm, Jim2424242 wrote:
HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

abused, lately?- Hide quoted text -

And I'm sorry for Harry that his life is so pathetic that he has to
lie about every aspect of it. Can you say "lobsta boat"?!

"Jim2424242" wrote in message

HK wrote:

I'm sorry life is so difficult for you.

Why so much vitriol today Krausie. Do you feel you have been unjustly
abused, lately?

Krausie hasn't aged well, sad to say. 12-14 years ago you could have a
reasonable discussion and although not in agreement, it was accomplished
without any mean spiritedness from either side, even with a few friendly
zingers thrown in once in a while.

He's slowly evolved into a crotchety, narrow minded old man. Whatever
existed as a sense of humor is long lost. Seen it many times as others
age. Lacking patience to respectfully debate or display any respect for
others, the typical response now is a personal insult or other demeaning
statement if you don't agree with or bow down to him.

Cracks me up. Predictable, but sad to see.

He'll now come back with the standard, "This isn't a boating newsgroup
anymore" or blame everything on a half dozen "right wing" conservatives.
Might even toss a bit of blame on GWB, just for good measure, along with
anyone who acknowledges a religious faith.

Eisboch

HK wrote:

[...]

You have him pegged to a tee. Too bad. Several years ago, I thought highly
of his insights, and even agreed with him on occasion. Then he moved from
Florida to lala land on the Potomac or Chesapeake, and turned downright
mean. Really sad to see. He is a lot like my mother-in-law now - one violent
outburst from the Alzheimer's wing at the nursing home.

HK HK is offline

HK wrote:

[...]

You're projecting. I'm not the one having problems with service
personnel and then blowing my stack. You are.
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
[...]

On Tuesday, our new refrigerator was delivered and installed. The two
guys handling the delivery showed up exactly on time. They had
deliveries all over southern Maryland, having started out the morning in
North Carolina.

The refrigerator was unboxed on the front walk. The lead guy took some
measurements, and decided he could use the extra room he'd get by
unhinging the front door and the screen door.

The guys carried the refrigerator in, carried it over the wood floors,
and set it down on the tile floor in the kitchen.

The second guy removed all the tape on the inside, wiped down the
refrigerator, even though it had just come out of a box, and then hooked
up the water line and electric line.

As soon as he was finished, the guys rolled the new refrigerator into
its cubby, and the lead guy leveled it and then made sure all the
functions were working properly, and there was no damage anywhere.

Then he and his helper reinstalled the two doors and left.

Great guys, and I told them so. I gave each one a $20 and my thanks.

An hour later, their supervisor called to see what sort of job they did.
I told them that on a scale of 10, they rated a 10.

This morning, I got a call from my local Husqvarna dealer, telling me a
part I had ordered arrived. I drove over to pick it up. Went up to the
counter, the nice lady there asked my name, and she went to the
storeroom to get the part. She opened up the packed, checked the
contents against the call-out sheet in her parts book, and said "a
washer was missing." So, she went to the shop and came back with a
couple of washers.

Life is a lot easier when you're not a hothead, Eisboch.

More fun on a boring morning... Short Wave Sportfishing General 3 February 27th 08 10:59 AM
Good Morning Thom Stewart ASA 1 February 14th 07 05:35 PM
Oil 53.55 this morning... bb General 44 October 13th 04 01:58 PM
New Morning Paul General 1 October 29th 03 10:05 PM