Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

However, we used some of (we had to buy an entire reel) the red LED
rope lighting we have throughout our boat to illuminate the cockpit.
We'd originally thought of it for under-way use, but it's far too
bright for that application, red or not. It's impossible for anyone to
mistake this for a navigation light, as it forms an arc (~18" tall) on
the binnacle. It isn't a 2-mile visibility item, in any case, but it
does show up from perhaps a mile away as a very faint line (getting
brighter as you approach, of course). So, not only is it unique
(well, our cruising buddies who liked the idea so well they did it,
too, aside), it lights the cockpit as we board. Its overhead (recall
my electrical post budget/list) is all of 0.1A, just like our anchor
light, so we usually leave it lit all night when we're at anchor. It
helps us find Flying Pig, but also provides some deck-level lighting
for those in close range and impaired, assisting in avoiding (yes, I
know they're making better idiots every day) us, helping identify that
there's a boat there, even if they fail to notice the anchor light.
Those same red lights below tend to make the windows (well, ports!)
show up a bit better in the dark, too, helping us and others identify
the presence of Flying Pig!

To assist our boarding we have a remote-control LED stern deck light
(11x9 array - extremely bright, used in billboard illumination in
remote areas where batteries and solar panels power the lighting -
overhead 0.6A) which we activate as we approach, bathing our platform
and stern in visibility. That same light, if spreader lights and
foredeck light were not enough to highlight our presence to large
traffic which somehow didn't see us, could be aimed forward to our
sails...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

Most LEDs are generally not even legal for anchor light purposes. They tend
to be too directional in nature and are more like a mini-spotlight than the
required, two-mile minimum, 360 degree light. Nothing is more pathetic than
a half a million dollar yacht anchored using those pitifully weak, LED,
illegal, solar lawn lights but one sees them in use all the time. Sad!

For a good, bright, long-lasting anchor light one should go the compact
fluorescent route. Here is my suggestion:
http://www.servicelighting.com/catal...m?prod=TC10715

It will fit in a standard night light socket and it is such a powerful,
bright light with a very noticeable white (as opposed to the usual
yellow-looking feeble anchor light) Run it off your inverter hung from the
backstay about fifteen feet up. Don't use the photocell socket as compact
fluorescents are slowly damaged by the flicker effect that photocell sockets
cause when coming on and going off.

If this proves too bright for your purposes (It puts out close to what a 100
watt incandescent bulb produces) there are lower wattage examples available.
The four watt model is actually bright enough to be legal. But, if you want
to be able to pick your boat out even from five miles away the bulb linked
above is the way to go.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:56:46 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

Most LEDs are generally not even legal for anchor light purposes. They
tend
to be too directional in nature and are more like a mini-spotlight than
the
required, two-mile minimum, 360 degree light.

What a dope! The LED mastlights are comprised of many leds mounted to
a cylinder inside a faceted lens. No problem whatsoever getting 360
degrees and two miles.

$300 and difficult to wire and mount. vs. $14.95 and an extension cord and
ten minutes to affix! Now, ask yourself who is the dope! And, in most yacht
anchorages small boat traffic is the only concern. Small boats don't
generally look way up in the sky for anchor lights. Anchor lights mounted at
the masthead are far less noticeable than one mounted ten or fifteen feet
high.

Now, run along little boy!

Wilbur Hubbard

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Well, now we know he hasn't been in a marine supply store recently either.

And you also should know I don't fall for expensive gimmicks the likes of
which the typical, ignorant wannabe boater is enamored of. Anybody who pays
300 bucks for a LED light that does not work as well as a $14.95 compact
fluorescent bulb is a fool.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Well, now we know he hasn't been in a marine supply store recently
either.

Anybody who pays 300 bucks for a LED light ....

Futher proof.

Further proof of what? That you don't have a clue? Check it out he

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/LOPOLIGHT.htm

See where it costs 350 dollars for the 2-mile LED anchor light?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Pay what you want. My 2 nm LED anchor light was less than half that and a
very nice looking unit.

--
Roger Long

"Nice looking?" C'mon, now Roger. Since when has "nice looking" been the
guide to quality equipment? You get what you pay for and that's a fact. Top
of the line stuff costs big bucks. You either figure your boat and your
life's worth it or it's not.

Tell you what. The fifteen dollar compact fluorescent bulb does a better job
at lighting up my anchored Allied Seawind 32 than does the expensive LED.
The expensive one was a waste of money from that standpoint. From an
esthetic standpoint, however, a masthead lamp is more traditional even if it
is less functional.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:36:36 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Well, now we know he hasn't been in a marine supply store recently
either.

Anybody who pays 300 bucks for a LED light ....

Futher proof.

Is what people mean when they talk of being hoisted by one's own
petard?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht
anchorages ....

a light is not required....

Cheers
Marty

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

According to the regulations I read the following is in effect:

(a) These Rules shall apply to all vessels upon the high seas and in
all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessel

(b) Nothing in these Rules shall interfere with the operation of
special rules made by an appropriate authority for roadsteads,
harbours, rivers, lakes or inland waterways connected with the high
seas and navigable by seagoing vessels. Such special rules shall
conform as closely as possible to these Rules.

In other words the authorities controlling the waters can publish any
regulation they wish and you must comply with it.

and:

Responsibility
(a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner,
master or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply
with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be
required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special
circumstances of the case.

If they say "get a lite" and you don't scamper right out and get one
then you are at fault.

Designated anchorages MAY require an anchor light.

It is not really an area to be discussed as I have seen a boat
anchored in a "designated anchorage" without an anchor light that was
"T-boned" by a speed boat and was found solely at fault in admiralty
court as local regulations stated an anchor light was required..

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Extend Your Boarding Ladder Step [email protected] Cruising 0 November 26th 07 09:22 PM
Navy boarding Capt. JG ASA 29 May 3rd 07 03:21 AM
Means to Stabilize Kayak When Boarding Larger Boat? frank1492 General 5 July 14th 05 01:40 PM
folding boarding ladder Cindy Ballreich Cruising 6 January 23rd 04 05:36 AM
anchoring techniques Jonathan Ganz ASA 20 October 31st 03 01:43 AM