Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
news:Yqadnde8ptHjIpHVnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@bayareasolut ions...
I good example is what they have off Catalina... lots and lots of boats

tied
up in a relatively small space. We have similiar at Angel Island. The
wind/currents are such there that everyone ties bow to one and stern to
another, so no one swings into another boat. This works great for large
raft-ups that happen at various times... 10+ boats in a raft up.

Call me anti-social, but I would go somewhere else if I found I was likely
to be rafted up with 10 other boats.
Feet pounding across your deck at all hours of the night, loud drunken
voices ditto, some idiot playing loud music of his choice to entertain
everyone else, etc, etc.etc.
No, thanks. That is not my idea of cruising.

I guess we'll have to... it's a party or a one-design fleet raft up. Not my
idea either, but these things do happen.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:02:16 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

A mooring field is an area where the moorings are so closely spaced, often
in a regular pattern, that anchoring between them would be impractical.
Often, they are so close that just navigating through the area is
difficult
and channels are often left for the purpose. Usually, a mooring field is
overseen and mooring locations managed by someone like me. There are
"unofficial" mooring fields where coves or harbors have simply filled up
with moorings.

Working definition: If you can find a place to set a hook in amongst the
moorings, it is not a mooring field. If you say, "Dang, we'll have to
jill
around while we send someone ashore in the dinghy for ice and beer and
then
go anchor around the point", it's a mooring field.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't have them things when I was sailing
down that a way. Used to be you could just find a nook and drop the
hook and take the dinghy to shore to find out where you were.

Sounds like it has all gone down hill since I left.

Heck, you could sail nearly anywhere in the state without even
catching a lobster pot.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Every yacht & boat club here always refers to the 'mooring field'.

Extend Your Boarding Ladder Step [email protected] Cruising 0 November 26th 07 09:22 PM
Navy boarding Capt. JG ASA 29 May 3rd 07 03:21 AM
Means to Stabilize Kayak When Boarding Larger Boat? frank1492 General 5 July 14th 05 01:40 PM
folding boarding ladder Cindy Ballreich Cruising 6 January 23rd 04 05:36 AM
anchoring techniques Jonathan Ganz ASA 20 October 31st 03 01:43 AM