Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:56:46 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

It used to be that an LED anchor light would be scarce enough (and
much brighter among all the incandescents) that finding our boat would
be a piece of cake. That's no longer the case, at least in the
anchorages we were in this last 7 or so months - LEDs are now
predominant.

Most LEDs are generally not even legal for anchor light purposes. They
tend
to be too directional in nature and are more like a mini-spotlight than
the
required, two-mile minimum, 360 degree light.

What a dope! The LED mastlights are comprised of many leds mounted to
a cylinder inside a faceted lens. No problem whatsoever getting 360
degrees and two miles.

$300 and difficult to wire and mount. vs. $14.95 and an extension cord and
ten minutes to affix! Now, ask yourself who is the dope! And, in most yacht
anchorages small boat traffic is the only concern. Small boats don't
generally look way up in the sky for anchor lights. Anchor lights mounted at
the masthead are far less noticeable than one mounted ten or fifteen feet
high.

Now, run along little boy!

Wilbur Hubbard