Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis, and I thought the
anchorage at Mile Hammock Bay was one, but when I looked at the chart
it wasn't on there as a designated anchorage, even though that is all
that it is used for.

Only if it is a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary (of
Homeland Security) is an anchor light night NOT required. It may even
be defined and administered by a state or local government, that
anchorage does not automatically become one of these designated
Special Anchorage Areas

To find out where such anchorages exist, go to The Code of Federal
Regulations, Title 33 Navigation and Navigable Waters, Part 110,
Anchorage Regulations (CITE: 33CFR110.1) [available free at
www.access.gpo.gov and most public libraries]. Here in Subpart A,
Special Anchorage Areas, there are 96 listed locations with very
specific boundaries described. Some, like 110.30 Boston Harbor, Mass
and adjacent waters have multiple individual anchorage locations
specified and supplementary rules and regulations so there are a few
more individual sites than the 96 major listings. Even so, considering
all of the possible places to anchor in the U.S., there are not a lot
of these special anchorages as a percent of the total anchorages.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
wrote

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

Nor do most designated mooring areas spracht the harbormaster.

I always put my light on wherever I am anchored just because it gives me a
nice warm fuzzy feeling and indicates that I am anchored rather than on a
mooring so my watch circle could be larger. I sometimes put it on even in
designated mooring areas if there is a lot of boat traffic and visibility
is poor.

Clearly though, someone's nautical knowledge is showing itself a bit thin.

--
Roger Long

I also put mine on even if it isn't required. A small bit of piece of
mind...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:20:43 -0400, Roger Long wrote:

Pay what you want. My 2 nm LED anchor light was less than half that and a
very nice looking unit.

And you'll never have to climb the mast to replace the bulb again,
or pay someone else to do it, as most boat owners would have to. I
say it's a bargain.

Matt O.

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field for
yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:01:05 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Downtown Annapolis, right in front of the Naval Academy.

Chart # 12283_1, lat 38-58.5, lon 76-28.9

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field for
yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious id people actually do that or ignore it.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
m...

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious id people actually do that or ignore it.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

If we're going to be there long enough for me to be able to find the damn
thing... :-)

I've never seen an under 20m sailboat do that however... even ones who've
been on the hook for days/weeks. Some of them don't even show a light, even
though they're not in a designated anchorage. I've never heard of anyone
getting a ticket for not doing that, but I suppose it happens if the CG
wants it to happen.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
om...

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious if people actually do that or ignore it.

Well we do. We have the dayshape and the anchor light on a halyard
and we hoist it when we anchor. The anchor light is photo sensitive
and goes on when it gets dark. When It's not dark, the dayshape is
there.

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

If we're going to be there long enough for me to be able to find the damn
thing... :-)

I've never seen an under 20m sailboat do that however... even ones who've
been on the hook for days/weeks. Some of them don't even show a light, even
though they're not in a designated anchorage. I've never heard of anyone
getting a ticket for not doing that, but I suppose it happens if the CG
wants it to happen.

Extend Your Boarding Ladder Step [email protected] Cruising 0 November 26th 07 09:22 PM
Navy boarding Capt. JG ASA 29 May 3rd 07 03:21 AM
Means to Stabilize Kayak When Boarding Larger Boat? frank1492 General 5 July 14th 05 01:40 PM
folding boarding ladder Cindy Ballreich Cruising 6 January 23rd 04 05:36 AM
anchoring techniques Jonathan Ganz ASA 20 October 31st 03 01:43 AM