Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On 2008-04-18 23:27:02 -0400, Marty said:

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
in most yacht anchorages ....

a light is not required....

As long as you don't mind being bumped into and can pay the damage your
insurance company won't pay for.

There are very few anchorages where an anchor light is not required by regs.

Really? Has anyone ever explained to you how to read a chart? All those
designated anchorages do NOT require an anchor light.

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis, and I thought the
anchorage at Mile Hammock Bay was one, but when I looked at the chart
it wasn't on there as a designated anchorage, even though that is all
that it is used for.

Only if it is a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary (of
Homeland Security) is an anchor light night NOT required. It may even
be defined and administered by a state or local government, that
anchorage does not automatically become one of these designated
Special Anchorage Areas

To find out where such anchorages exist, go to The Code of Federal
Regulations, Title 33 Navigation and Navigable Waters, Part 110,
Anchorage Regulations (CITE: 33CFR110.1) [available free at
www.access.gpo.gov and most public libraries]. Here in Subpart A,
Special Anchorage Areas, there are 96 listed locations with very
specific boundaries described. Some, like 110.30 Boston Harbor, Mass
and adjacent waters have multiple individual anchorage locations
specified and supplementary rules and regulations so there are a few
more individual sites than the 96 major listings. Even so, considering
all of the possible places to anchor in the U.S., there are not a lot
of these special anchorages as a percent of the total anchorages.