Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

"Capt. JG" wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
om...
Capt. JG wrote:

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B. said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious if people actually do that or ignore it.

Well we do. We have the dayshape and the anchor light on a halyard
and we hoist it when we anchor. The anchor light is photo sensitive
and goes on when it gets dark. When It's not dark, the dayshape is
there.

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

If we're going to be there long enough for me to be able to find the damn
thing... :-)

I've never seen an under 20m sailboat do that however... even ones who've
been on the hook for days/weeks. Some of them don't even show a light, even
though they're not in a designated anchorage. I've never heard of anyone
getting a ticket for not doing that, but I suppose it happens if the CG
wants it to happen.