Default Anchorage identification and boarding techniques

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:17 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

Sort of like this one ? :-)

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rmsboatgm6.jpg

Rosalie B. wrote:
"

Well we do. We have the dayshape and the anchor light on a halyard
and we hoist it when we anchor. The anchor light is photo sensitive
and goes on when it gets dark. When It's not dark, the dayshape is
there.

As usual, Rosalie, an elegant solution to a funky problem.
Thanks.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:01:03 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
news:Mv2dndTmFbafLpfVnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@earthlink. com...
Capt. JG wrote:

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B.
said:

There are not that many designated anchorages listed on the charts
where we sail. I know of one off Annapolis,

Where's that?

Not that it matters much to me. If I'm anchored, I have the lights on.

One question I've always had was whether mooring fields were considered
anchorages or something else, something closer to being a marina.

--
Jere Lull

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring
field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

Do you fly the "day shapes" whn anchored during the day?

Curious id people actually do that or ignore it.

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

If we're going to be there long enough for me to be able to find the damn
thing... :-)

I've never seen an under 20m sailboat do that however... even ones who've
been on the hook for days/weeks. Some of them don't even show a light,
even
though they're not in a designated anchorage. I've never heard of anyone
getting a ticket for not doing that, but I suppose it happens if the CG
wants it to happen.

The problem with day shapes is that the sizes are huge. The minimum sized
anchor
dayshape is about 2 feet in diameter. Boats under 20 meters are allowed
to have
proportionately smaller dayshapes, but there are no exact formulas issued
for
what that means, so anything under 2 feet is open to dispute in court.

I have a spare Davis radar reflector spray painted black that I fly under
the
spreaders when anchored. I have no idea if it would even legally count. In
busy
anchorages, I also usually tie a few short pieces of yellow caution tape
to the
anchor rode between the roller and where it enters the water. That seems
to be
enough of a hint for the oblivious stinkpotters racing around to avoid
them
cutting too close. I treat "special anchorages no differently than any
other as
far as precautions and signals, except I don't normally use horn or bell
signals
unless there is very limited visibility due to weather conditions and it
seems
needed for safety.

Doubtful about the blackened reflector... sounds like a Cajun dish... but,
they'll probably give you a B- for trying. I like the caution tape idea.
Fortunately, I only anchored one time in an anchorage that seemed like it
would be prone to someone cutting across the line... it was all chain, and I
figured they would be worse for it. Nothing happened, but the next morning
we discovered someone had anchored after dark, and had crossed our line with
theirs. They were a bit close on the swimg, but everything was stable, so we
just hailed them when they woke up, and we disentangled pretty easily.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2008-04-19 10:26:39 -0400, Rosalie B.
said:

[...]

Hey, you could use one of those environmentally unfriendly metalic helium
balloons painted black... just don't lose it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:17:17 -0400, Rosalie B.
wrote:

MO (without looking it up) is that the moorings are listed on the
charts so that we know where they are, not so that we don't have to
show an anchor light if we are anchored there.

Here in Iowa a cop boat hit an anchored boat at high speed. Killed
someone in their bunk. It was a designated anchorage, but the state
tried to blame the victim for not showing lights.

Casady

wrote:

There's a guy we know who anchors for long periods (not sure if he is
over 20 meters or not), and he also abides by all the regulations so
that if he is boarded (which because he has a strange looking boat he
often is) he can demonstrate that he's done absolutely everything
required.

Sort of like this one ? :-)

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rmsboatgm6.jpg

Yep that's the one.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/7346..._Augustine.jpg

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/7540...hns_Island.jpg

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1343..._Augustine.jpg

And the solution for the anchor light/dayshape was Bob's and not mine.
He's the engineer, I'm just the reporter.

wrote in message
The problem with day shapes is that the sizes are huge. The minimum sized

anchor
dayshape is about 2 feet in diameter. Boats under 20 meters are allowed
to have
proportionately smaller dayshapes, but there are no exact formulas issued
for
what that means, so anything under 2 feet is open to dispute in court.

You can get black plastic ones like balloons but thicker with an eye top and
bottom to allow you to hoist them and pin the bottom down. Flatten down to
nothing when deflated.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
news:u8qdnXqF0Zr7PJfVnZ2dnUVZ_r2nnZ2d@bayareasolut ions...

I've never heard of a requirement for an anchor light in a mooring field
for yachts, especially around here. Still a good idea though.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Stupid twit! And you CLAIM to have passed the USCG license exam and studied
the COLREGS.

You are pathetic, man pathetic! What a poor example you are to us competent
and real captains!

What don't you understand about this?

Rule 30
(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen: in the fore
part, an all-round white light or one ball; at or near the stern and at a
lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round
white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round
white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in
paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters and more in
length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to
illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph
(a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, if practicable, [Inld] where they
can best be seen;
two all-round red lights in a vertical line; three balls in a vertical
line.

(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or
near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate,
shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and
(b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not
be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs
(d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a
special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to
exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule. [Inld]

~~~~~~Moored vessel are considered to be anchored by definition~~~~~

33 CFR 90
INTERPRETIVE RULES - INLAND
§ 90.1 Purpose
This part contains the interpretative rules for the Inland Rules. These
interpretative rules are intended as a guide to assist the public and
promote compliance with the Inland Rules.

§ 90.5 Lights for moored vessels
A vessel at anchor includes a vessel made fast to one or more mooring buoys
or other similar device attached to the ocean floor. Such vessels may be
lighted as a vessel at anchor in accordance with Rule 30, or may be lighted
on the corners in accordance with 33 CFR 88.13.

So, try weaseling your ignorant way out of this one! Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:45:03 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Few if any of you
reading this anchor in the few "Special Ancorages" that are available as
most of them are very exposed to wind and sea and generally exist for the
sake of large shipping interests waiting to come into port.

Bull kwap nonsense, most of them are mooring fields.

Extend Your Boarding Ladder Step [email protected] Cruising 0 November 26th 07 09:22 PM
Navy boarding Capt. JG ASA 29 May 3rd 07 03:21 AM
Means to Stabilize Kayak When Boarding Larger Boat? frank1492 General 5 July 14th 05 01:40 PM
folding boarding ladder Cindy Ballreich Cruising 6 January 23rd 04 05:36 AM
anchoring techniques Jonathan Ganz ASA 20 October 31st 03 01:43 AM