Ryk Ryk is offline

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:05:45 -0500, in message

Vic Smith wrote:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:57:51 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:44:36 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

The Briggs and Stratton is air cooled and *very* noisy. I think it
would be a poor choice. The 2.5 will definitely move you around
although not very fast. If you want to optimize light weight and low
cost the 2.5 would be the best option (if you have dealer support).

Second that. Ran an air-cooled 5hp for years. Cheap Sears thing.
Always regretted not kicking in the extra cash for a water cooled.
It was noisy as hell.

The two horse Honda I had stolen last year was surprisingly quiet,
even though air cooled. I just bought a Suzuki 2.5, but haven't had
the chance to use it just yet -- the harbour's still full of ice.

Ryk

On Apr 8, 12:49*pm, Ryk wrote: I just
bought a Suzuki 2.5, but haven't had the chance to use it just yet --
the harbour's still full of ice.
Ryk

Well, jeez, call the U.S.Navy or someone and get them there with
the icebreaker. I need a report on that Suzuki 2.5 HP! -Jay

wrote:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

The Briggs and Stratton is air cooled and *very* noisy. I think it
would be a poor choice. The 2.5 will definitely move you around
although not very fast. If you want to optimize light weight and low
cost the 2.5 would be the best option (if you have dealer support).

Second that. Ran an air-cooled 5hp for years. Cheap Sears thing.
Always regretted not kicking in the extra cash for a water cooled.
It was noisy as hell.

--Vic

On the other hand, I'll bet you that the water pump impeller never
wore out :-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On 2008-04-08 06:44:36 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok said:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

A B&S outboard? It's been years since I had a gas lawnmower (went
electric 20 years ago), but I wonder how reliable they are and how
easily serviced....

Search shows they're air cooled & OHV, so they're a bit different than
way back when.

Anyone have experience with them?

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2008-04-08 06:44:36 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok
said:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

A B&S outboard? It's been years since I had a gas lawnmower (went
electric 20 years ago), but I wonder how reliable they are and how
easily serviced....

Search shows they're air cooled & OHV, so they're a bit different than
way back when.

Anyone have experience with them?

I've had two of them.
One was an old beater used in salt water (a no-no for this engine)
Never missed a beat, though.
Just not quite as stong as...

The other one was brand new from Academy - on sale for $650)

Up Side:

It's a Briggs.
Starts, runs, does exactly what it's supposed to do.
Service centers everywhere.

It's a 4 stroke engine - no oil mixed in the gas.
Reliable as can be.

Lots-O-Torque.
This was the motor on my Capri 18 - 1500 pounds of small boat.
It would make hull speed at about 75% power
and could push the boat into a 25 mph headwind at a couple knots.
Strong motor...

Electronic RPM limiter to prevent damage from overspeed - like
when the prop comes out of the water or you turn and cavitate.

VERY miserly fuel consumption compared to equal powered two strokes.

ANd lastly, no water pick up for engine cooling - no exhaust water
tube either. A bit lowder, maybe at full boil, but not bad.

Down Side:

It's a 4 stroke, so it has oil in the sump.
You can't lay it down on it's side like a two stroke.

It's heavy for a 5 horse at 56 pounds.

External fuel tank required.

For what that's worth...

Richard

Motor mods page:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-mot.htm#top

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

wrote:

Second that. Ran an air-cooled 5hp for years. Cheap Sears thing.
Always regretted not kicking in the extra cash for a water cooled.
It was noisy as hell.

--Vic

On the other hand, I'll bet you that the water pump impeller never
wore out :-)

True enough! To be more clear, I never did any maintenance on it
except change the plug and gear oil a couple times.
It was very light - maybe 40 lbs. - and reliable.
I would toss it in the trunk a few times a year and clamp it on rented
boats at different fishing spots in north Illinois and Wisconsin.
It shook pretty bad at trolling speed, and since the thing is a few
feet from your head, the noise can wear on you.
Bought it new at Sears in '71 I think, for about 189 bucks.
5 hp Johnsons/Evinrudes/Mercs cost about 3-4 times as much then.
So all considered, I really don't want to bitch about it. I made my
bed, and was actually a bit fond of it.
Wouldn't do it now though, and it *was* noisy.

--Vic

On 2008-04-08 06:44:36 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok said:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

A B&S outboard? It's been years since I had a gas lawnmower (went
electric 20 years ago), but I wonder how reliable they are and how
easily serviced....

Search shows they're air cooled & OHV, so they're a bit different than
way back when.

Anyone have experience with them?

..
I had a go cart with a 5 HP Briggs. It burned methanol and needless to
say, had lots of power. Of course it drank like a fish,

Casady

Not trying to gum up the motor search too much but have one more
possibility to offer the great boating minds on rec.boats.cruising.
At least you folks answer. On rec.boats, there's hardly a peep. But
it's already April and I gotta get a motor on my machine so I can give
up those $%$#$ oars!

At a local boat/motor store I found a brand-new in the box 2005
Tohatsu 3.5B (3.5 HP 2-stroke, 75 cc 1-cylinder) outboard for about
$500. It has forward/neutral only (360 degree steering), a 2:15:1
gear ratio, 7.4" diameter x 7" pitch prop, built-in .37 gallon gas
tank, 47 x 43 mm bore and stroke, 4200-5300 rpms and weighs in at 29
lbs.

So whaddya think? If some say the Suzuki 4hp and even the 2.5 hp
would push that 14 footer around the nice quiet lake at 5-6 mph,
wouldn't that screamin' Tohatsu 3.5 hp two-stroke do the job too?
BTW, the exhaust is under the water.

-Jay
(Still keeping one eye on the boat and the other on his wallet).

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:57:43 -0700 (PDT), in message

Jay wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:49*pm, Ryk wrote: I just
bought a Suzuki 2.5, but haven't had the chance to use it just yet --
the harbour's still full of ice.
Ryk

Well, jeez, call the U.S.Navy or someone and get them there with
the icebreaker. I need a report on that Suzuki 2.5 HP! -Jay

Given the record of the US Military (as directed by the US Government)
I am reluctant to invite them anywhere off campus for polite
assistance except in dire need. The ice is going out fine on its own,
thanks...

Ryk

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:59:26 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

[...]

The Tohatsu 2 - 3 H.P. motors are probably the most commonly seen
dinghy motor on cruising yachts in this area. They are extremely
reliable. Probably the most common problem is leaving fuel in the tank
while the motor is hanging on the stern rail for a season and getting
the carb gummed up. Taking it off and washing with fresh gasoline
usually cleans it.

I've seen them used on 12 - 14 ft. fiberglass boats, in fact there is
one that has been tying up down the jetty for three years or more so I
guess the guy is happy with it.

My Mercury 3.5 is basically the same motor and it has been running for
10 years now.

If it were for sale here I would buy it.

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM