Default The Suzuki 2.5 hp makes the final cut...but what about TWO of them, in tandem?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:30:45 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

If a person strapped TWO of those Suzuki 2.5hp outboards (only 29 lbs.
each) to the back of the boat, one on each side, what would be the
effect? 5hp? Double the speed? Double the noise? Nothing? Just
curious...

If you want to go significantly faster you need enough power to get on
plane. That will take 10 to 20 hp for your boat depending on how
heavily loaded it is. The complexity of trying to steer two outboards
is reason enough not to do it but there are other reasons also like
increased drag, fuel consumption and maintenance.

Most dual outboard installations are done for redundancy on offshore
boats or where the boat is heavy enough that no single motor provides
enough power.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:47:52 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

"I see a lot of boats here with a couple of 250 h.p.
engines strapped on the tail." Curious why they don't just strap ONE
500 hp motor on the back instead of two 250s if there's not an
advantage.

It's simple. 250 is as big as they make them, you can't get a 500HP
engine.

Casady

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:54:06 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

The complexity of trying to steer two outboards
is reason enough not to do it

Its simple,not complex. A tie bar between the tillers and you have it.

Casady

Jay wrote:

If a person strapped TWO of those Suzuki 2.5hp outboards (only 29 lbs.
each) to the back of the boat, one on each side, what would be the
effect? 5hp? Double the speed? Double the noise? Nothing? Just
curious...

Well Jay, I can speak from experience, here. When my son was about 15
he wanted to know what happens if we put both the 2HP Evenrude, ant the
2.2. Merc on the back of the punt; I figure what the hell, let's try it.

You go a bit faster, maybe 25%, (which jibes with other posters
statements), and use twice the gas, but have four times the fun trying
to keep the thing going straight! :-)

Cheers
Marty

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 05:47:52 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

On Apr 26, 5:15*am, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
I keep telling the guy, "call Roger". He don;t listen.
Bruce-in-Bangkok

Oh, he DO listen but he's just gathering alternate info from other
sources. I'll get around to the head guru Roger soon.

What's taking up my time is trying to figure why those power maniacs
around you are strapping two of the big blasters to their boats. As
you stated, "I see a lot of boats here with a couple of 250 h.p.
engines strapped on the tail." Curious why they don't just strap ONE
500 hp motor on the back instead of two 250s if there's not an
advantage. Curious....

-Jay
(who
listens.......................................... ............occasionally)

I don't have a clue. I'm the buy that thinks a 5 HP engine is a BIG
motor.

I guess because it is cool. "Man, I've got the biggest engines in
town", or because they listen to Cassady and think that two engines
make them go twice as fast.

Hell, I don't know.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
Hell, I don't know.

For once you speak the truth! Keep up the good work, Bruce.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:46:45 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote

You might "Ping" Roger
as to why doubling the Horse Power doesn't necessarily mean double the
speed. Has to do with all kind of hull forms and hydrodynamics and too
much of it will make your eyes cross.

As has been pointed out here, I have no *formal* training in naval
architecture and am therefore unqualified to comment.

I do know that it is an immutable law of the universe however and always
obey it even when I don't see any physics cops in my rearview mirror.

BTW good bio article about Ray Hunt in the latest "Yachting". Another guy
with no formal training in the field.

I believe it is called empirical learning. I've seen half models
carved a hundred years ago that wouldn't bring any shame on a "modern"
designer.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Default The Suzuki 2.5 hp makes the final cut...but what about TWO ofthem, in tandem or even FOUR??

On Apr 26, 3:47*pm, Marty wrote: You go a bit
faster, maybe 25%, (which jibes with other posters statements), and
use twice the gas, but have four times the fun trying to keep the
thing going straight! :-)
Cheers, Marty

Now THAT sounds like a formula for an afternoon of fun boating!
But as far as keeping it going straight, wouldn't an outrigger setup
with yet two more 2.5 hp throbbers mounted one on each side like jet
engines hanging off the wing of an airplane make it "steady as she
goes?" I guess if one is gonna go to all that trouble, a better
thought might be just one 9.8 hp hanging on the tail.

But I bet the other setup would get a lot of attention and perhaps
even earn one the title of "coolest boater dude on the lake" or
"nutcase boater of the year."

-Jay

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM