cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

On 2008-04-08 06:44:36 -0400, Bruce in Bangkok
said:

The Briggs & Stratton will probably work as well as anything and last
as long. At least for the weekend and holiday use you will likely put
it to. Or get a good used second hand 4 - 5 H.P. if you can locate
one.

A B&S outboard? It's been years since I had a gas lawnmower (went
electric 20 years ago), but I wonder how reliable they are and how
easily serviced....

Search shows they're air cooled & OHV, so they're a bit different than
way back when.

Anyone have experience with them?

I've had two of them.
One was an old beater used in salt water (a no-no for this engine)
Never missed a beat, though.
Just not quite as stong as...

The other one was brand new from Academy - on sale for $650)

Up Side:

It's a Briggs.
Starts, runs, does exactly what it's supposed to do.
Service centers everywhere.

It's a 4 stroke engine - no oil mixed in the gas.
Reliable as can be.

Lots-O-Torque.
This was the motor on my Capri 18 - 1500 pounds of small boat.
It would make hull speed at about 75% power
and could push the boat into a 25 mph headwind at a couple knots.
Strong motor...

Electronic RPM limiter to prevent damage from overspeed - like
when the prop comes out of the water or you turn and cavitate.

VERY miserly fuel consumption compared to equal powered two strokes.

ANd lastly, no water pick up for engine cooling - no exhaust water
tube either. A bit lowder, maybe at full boil, but not bad.

Down Side:

It's a 4 stroke, so it has oil in the sump.
You can't lay it down on it's side like a two stroke.

It's heavy for a 5 horse at 56 pounds.

External fuel tank required.

For what that's worth...

Richard

Motor mods page:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-mot.htm#top

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne