Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:59:26 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

Not trying to gum up the motor search too much but have one more
possibility to offer the great boating minds on rec.boats.cruising.
At least you folks answer. On rec.boats, there's hardly a peep. But
it's already April and I gotta get a motor on my machine so I can give
up those $%$#$ oars!

At a local boat/motor store I found a brand-new in the box 2005
Tohatsu 3.5B (3.5 HP 2-stroke, 75 cc 1-cylinder) outboard for about
$500. It has forward/neutral only (360 degree steering), a 2:15:1
gear ratio, 7.4" diameter x 7" pitch prop, built-in .37 gallon gas
tank, 47 x 43 mm bore and stroke, 4200-5300 rpms and weighs in at 29
lbs.

So whaddya think? If some say the Suzuki 4hp and even the 2.5 hp
would push that 14 footer around the nice quiet lake at 5-6 mph,
wouldn't that screamin' Tohatsu 3.5 hp two-stroke do the job too?
BTW, the exhaust is under the water.

-Jay
(Still keeping one eye on the boat and the other on his wallet).

The Tohatsu 2 - 3 H.P. motors are probably the most commonly seen
dinghy motor on cruising yachts in this area. They are extremely
reliable. Probably the most common problem is leaving fuel in the tank
while the motor is hanging on the stern rail for a season and getting
the carb gummed up. Taking it off and washing with fresh gasoline
usually cleans it.

I've seen them used on 12 - 14 ft. fiberglass boats, in fact there is
one that has been tying up down the jetty for three years or more so I
guess the guy is happy with it.

My Mercury 3.5 is basically the same motor and it has been running for
10 years now.

If it were for sale here I would buy it.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)