Default Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 (or maybe another choice, the TohatsuMFS4BS)--the Tohatsu 4HP Makes The Final Cut.

On Apr 22, 6:31*am, Martin Baxter wrote:

Jay wrote: Suzuki 4-stroke for $600 delivered but I opted for the extra oomph of

the 4hp Tohatsu and the 7-hour run time with the auxiliary tank. *I
figure it'll be $300 more well spent in the long run.

Good, let us know how it works out.
Cheers, Marty

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, Marty, it didn't work out. This has been a joint adventure
among three buddies. We take turns using the boat and sometimes go
fishing in it together. After the dealer cordially, and in a very
friendly and helpful tone, agreed to the $900 price my buddy Dee
proposed for all of the equipment I stated in an earlier post, the
dealer abruptly decided that the deal was too "involved" as he put it
and backpedaled right out the back door.

He apparently began to think it was too "involved" when Dee sent
an
email outlining all the details he had mutually agreed to on the
telephone and asked the dealer to simply reply and confirm that he had
all aspects of the deal correct.

This apparently caused the cold realization of what he had promised
to trigger a rapidly-advancing case of seller's remorse and he did the
180 on us. Needless to say, the link to that liar's business has been
removed from my desktop and favorites.

But the story doesn't end there. The other choice we had pondered,
the Suzuki 2.5 hp, then reappeared and I contacted a very helpful and
friendly Ray Jr. at The Boat Place in Florida (thanx Charles) and my
$600 check for that motor delivered to the house is "in the mail" as
the expression goes. BTW, Ray Jr. didn't have any problem with
replying to the same type of email confirming the details of the
purchase. Hmmmmm. Guess there are still some dealers left who aren't
all blow and no show.

Now I know that the Soozooky probably won't push us around the lake
any more than a fast walk but hey, every dealer in this area wants a
grand for it and the NADA used book on the 2007 is about what I'm
paying for the 2008 new so I shouldn't have any problem recouping my
money by selling it locally if it doesn't work out.

And of course none of us has missed much boating fun by these
little
delays since the daily temps have been in the high 30's and even a
fast-walk speed can put a wind chill factor on you that could take
away from the pleasure of motoring across the lake. (The ice floes
might present a problem too---lol).

-Jay

PS---Once we get the Suzuki and strap that powerhouse on, I'll offer a
full report on how it works out. And if it doesn't, check for a hot
deal on a Suzuki 2.5 on Ebay. LOL

Jay wrote:

[sipped Jay's saga of disreputable dealers}

PS---Once we get the Suzuki and strap that powerhouse on, I'll offer a
full report on how it works out. And if it doesn't, check for a hot
deal on a Suzuki 2.5 on Ebay. LOL

Too bad about the Tohatsu, but I'm sure you'll fine the Suzuki moves you
along just fine, great for trolling, easy on gas. I've used my Merc 2.2
and a backup on my 15' Springbok, it pushed me home just fine when the
Johnson 60 conked. About 5 miles, took an hour, but beat the hell out
of rowing.

Cheers
Marty

Default The Suzuki 2.5 hp makes the final cut...but what about TWO of them,in tandem?

On Apr 25, 4:36*pm, Marty wrote: I've used my Merc
2.2 and a backup on my 15' Springbok, it pushed me home just fine when
the Johnson 60 conked. *About 5 miles, took an hour, but beat the hell
out of rowing.
Cheers
Marty

Marty, anything beats the hell out of rowing especially if you're
in the middle of a large reservoir and the wind comes up. lol

-Jay

I realize all of you are probably tired of all of these questions from
the outboard rookie here but indulge me one more time.

If a person strapped TWO of those Suzuki 2.5hp outboards (only 29 lbs.
each) to the back of the boat, one on each side, what would be the
effect? 5hp? Double the speed? Double the noise? Nothing? Just
curious...

-Jay

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:30:45 -0700 (PDT), Jay
wrote:

On Apr 25, 4:36*pm, Marty wrote: I've used my Merc
2.2 and a backup on my 15' Springbok, it pushed me home just fine when
the Johnson 60 conked. *About 5 miles, took an hour, but beat the hell
out of rowing.
Cheers
Marty

Marty, anything beats the hell out of rowing especially if you're
in the middle of a large reservoir and the wind comes up. lol

-Jay

I realize all of you are probably tired of all of these questions from
the outboard rookie here but indulge me one more time.

If a person strapped TWO of those Suzuki 2.5hp outboards (only 29 lbs.
each) to the back of the boat, one on each side, what would be the
effect? 5hp? Double the speed? Double the noise? Nothing? Just
curious...

-Jay

Well, it will be double the noise and approximately double the fuel
consumption but perhaps not double the speed. You might "Ping" Roger
as to why doubling the Horse Power doesn't necessarily mean double the
speed. Has to do with all kind of hull forms and hydrodynamics and too
much of it will make your eyes cross.

But why stop with two, three, or even four! I see a lot of boats here
with a couple of 250 h.p. engines strapped on the tail.

I wonder what the "per minute" cost is for a couple of 2 stroke 250 hp
engines at full song is?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:58:22 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

You might "Ping" Roger
as to why doubling the Horse Power doesn't necessarily mean double the
speed. Has to do with all kind of hull forms and hydrodynamics and too
much of it will make your eyes cross.

Its very simple. Power required is proportional to the cube of the
speed, and, [gets out the calculator that takes no prisoners], you get
1.26 times the speed. Mileage is inversely proportional to speed. That
you can check for yourself, with your car.

Casady

On Apr 26, 3:38*am, (Richard Casady)
wrote: Its very simple. Power required is proportional to the cube of
the speed, and, [gets out the calculator that takes no prisoners], you
get 1.26 times the speed.
Casady

Thanks Casady, since I'll probably get 4 mph with the one Suzuki,
if I strapped on another, does that mean I reach a whopping FIVE
mph? (1.26 x 4) At that speed I could probably pull my cat water
skiing. lol

-Jay
(being silly)

wrote:

You might "Ping" Roger
as to why doubling the Horse Power doesn't necessarily mean double the
speed. Has to do with all kind of hull forms and hydrodynamics and too
much of it will make your eyes cross.

Its very simple. Power required is proportional to the cube of the
speed, and, [gets out the calculator that takes no prisoners], you get
1.26 times the speed. Mileage is inversely proportional to speed. That
you can check for yourself, with your car.

Casady

ASSuming the props are pitched for a higher speed than you alreaady get?

Jay wrote:
If a person strapped TWO of those Suzuki 2.5hp outboards (only 29 lbs.
each) to the back of the boat, one on each side, what would be the
effect? 5hp? Double the speed? Double the noise? Nothing?

In your case, not much.
At 2.5 - 5.0 hp, you're dealing with a displacement hull. So the
difference in those two hp's doesn't do much for speed (noise yes,
fuel yes, speed no).
But if you started with 10hp, which would almost plane (but not quite)
your boat, doubling the hp to 20hp would make a huge difference in
speed. That would be enought to switch from displacement speeds to
planing speeds. Big difference.
So everything matters. Weight, drag, hull shape, like that. But the
biggest difference in hp/speed ratio is when the hp is enough to get
the mass over the displacement/planning hump.

Rick

On Apr 26, 5:15*am, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
I keep telling the guy, "call Roger". He don;t listen.
Bruce-in-Bangkok

Oh, he DO listen but he's just gathering alternate info from other
sources. I'll get around to the head guru Roger soon.

What's taking up my time is trying to figure why those power maniacs
around you are strapping two of the big blasters to their boats. As
you stated, "I see a lot of boats here with a couple of 250 h.p.
engines strapped on the tail." Curious why they don't just strap ONE
500 hp motor on the back instead of two 250s if there's not an
advantage. Curious....

-Jay
(who

Suzuki DF4 vs. DF6 Jay[_3_] General 4 May 8th 08 05:58 PM
Suzuki 2hp Tell Tale Johnny General 5 October 24th 06 02:12 AM
200 hp Suzuki Mike Loran General 0 April 27th 04 04:47 AM
150 HP Suzuki Steven General 0 April 14th 04 09:26 PM
FS: Suzuki 15 HP 4-stroke in NC Ken Coit Marketplace 0 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM