Default duplicate nav lights panel

"Jere Lull" wrote
The stern light should be on the nav switch, as it should be on with the
red and green ones, under sail or power.

That's how it was on my power boat, but my sail boat has separate switches
for bow and stern lights. I wonder why? Is there ever a time when you don't
want the front and back lit up simultaneously?

"Dave" wrote in message

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Yeah, duh... just realized that after I typed it.

I'm not so sure you're wrong, Jon. Is there any reason why the system
couldn't be set up so that either turning on the nav lights switch or
turning on the engine switch would activate the stern light? Seems it
would
just require an additional wire from the engine switch to the stern light
hot wire.

It could be set up that way, but there's no need. Why would I have the bow
light on without the stern light... that's where I wasn't thinking
correctly.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
et...
"Jere Lull" wrote
The stern light should be on the nav switch, as it should be on with the
red and green ones, under sail or power.

That's how it was on my power boat, but my sail boat has separate switches
for bow and stern lights. I wonder why? Is there ever a time when you
don't want the front and back lit up simultaneously?

I think not...

I was also thinking about a fly light for the windex... low-voltage LED, but
that should also be switched on when the nav lights come on. No reason to
not have it on that I can think of. The main issue is low amps.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Default duplicate nav lights panel (new thoughts)

wrote in message
On Mar 27, 12:48 am, wrote:
... Or, if remembering to turn them on or off is a problem, you could
simply get in
the habit of turning on the NAV lights when you get underway as part of
the same
ritual when you get other things ready, and turn them off when you return
and
put things away. ...

Many commercial operators do this. On a sailboat going between power
and sail might be an issue. If using conventional lights then the
steaming light (masthead) could be turned on by the ignition. If
using a tri-color then you'd need some way of switching between it and
the under-power lights.

-- Tom.

I don't have tri-color lights.

I was thinking, inspiried by Salty among others, of an even more simple
approach....

Currently, as I probably mentioned, I have the regular nav lights - one
bowlight that does double duty via a red/green lens, a stern light, a
steaming light. I don't know how much amps they draw but I'm seriously
considering (have been for a while) converting these to LEDs. I'm also
considering adding a fly light for the windex at night. There's a spare wire
that's already there I believe, but I haven't confirmed this.

My current thought is to not bother about the nav/stern/fly system, since
it's never a rush getting those on. The only issue would be switching the
masthead light on when the engine goes on (which might be a rush situation).
So, if I limit my upgrade to just doing that, then I just need to figure out
a way to get that one light on at the appropriate moment. I could probably
rig something off the ignition key switch as previously discussed), but I
was thinking another way to do it would be to just have one on/off switch
for the masthead (currently on the panel) but relocate that switch near the
key, instead of at the panel.

Why would I need to run the masthead light from below without the engine
being on... I can't think of a reason.

I'm really trying hard to make this as simple as possible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:58:39 -0700, in message

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is that while I always confirm my bow lights
work before I leave the dock, there's no easy and sometimes no safe way to
confirm they're on underway. I cannot imagine leaving the helm to go all the
way forward in less than ideal conditions or asking a less experienced
person to do so to confirm the bow lights are on. The masthead is easy to
confirm of course, as is the stern light.

I find that in "less than ideal" conditions I can usually see the bow
lights reflected in the spray.

Ryk

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:31:18 -0700, in message

"Capt. JG" wrote:

I've been putting it off mostly because of where to put it is an issue. I'd
likely have to increase the size of the cutout for the new panel, which I
hate doing.

If you do so, consider a Xantrex Link 10 or similar instead of a
simple ammeter. The cost is moderate and it provides way more
information about the operation of the charging and battery system.
There's no high load wiring except for the shunt in the ground line,
so it is easy to install independent of the panel.

With mine, not only can I see when things go on and off, I can get an
accurate read of actual current draw for various components.

Ryk

news

"Capt. JG" wrote:

I've been putting it off mostly because of where to put it is an issue.
I'd
likely have to increase the size of the cutout for the new panel, which I
hate doing.

If you do so, consider a Xantrex Link 10 or similar instead of a
simple ammeter. The cost is moderate and it provides way more
information about the operation of the charging and battery system.
There's no high load wiring except for the shunt in the ground line,
so it is easy to install independent of the panel.

With mine, not only can I see when things go on and off, I can get an
accurate read of actual current draw for various components.

Ryk

Thanks! Looks interesting and can be had for under $200... my price range.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind is that while I always confirm my bow lights
work before I leave the dock, there's no easy and sometimes no safe way to
confirm they're on underway. I cannot imagine leaving the helm to go all
the
way forward in less than ideal conditions or asking a less experienced
person to do so to confirm the bow lights are on. The masthead is easy to
confirm of course, as is the stern light.

I find that in "less than ideal" conditions I can usually see the bow
lights reflected in the spray.

Ryk

Can't even see the pulpit when there's fog. LOL

I guess in that situation, the lights won't matter either way.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Solar Panel Help Matt Colie Boat Building 9 December 26th 06 08:27 PM
Genoa Panel Cut Thom Stewart ASA 0 November 16th 06 05:09 PM
Sorry for the duplicate Jim, General 1 April 21st 05 01:24 AM
Panel lights? Gary General 13 January 13th 05 07:56 PM
how2 duplicate windvane VANE ? Courtney Thomas Boat Building 2 January 7th 05 03:57 PM