Gary

Default Panel lights?

The switch panel at the helm of my boat is very well laid out and marked,
but for whatever reason, is not lit. While running at night, it's not
possible to see which switch is which without turning on an overhead light
or using a flashlight.

I'm a pilot and know that on the instrument panels of many airplanes, there
are small "post lights". These lights illuminate the instruments if they
are not back lit. They have a small hood on them so they don't shine in
your face, but on the panel instead. Something like this would be a perfect
solution to my problem...just drill a small hole and mount the light and
wire it up, however, I doubt seriously that they are water proof.

I just spent several minutes searching the web for something similar to this
for marine use, and came up empty handed.

Does anyone know of a source for these, or perhaps a better solution to the
problem?

Thanks!

Gary

Tony Thomas

Go to e-bay and do a search for LED lights. You can get a set of 10 LEDs
and resistors needed to connect to 12vDC power for about $10.00. Then you
will need a cover of some kind. I have a friend that owns a marina and I
get little black covers used for covering the transom holes for depth finder
transducers. They are small black plastic covers w/ a bubble in them for
the wire. LED fits perfect.

Or you could try this. It is an LED step light (may be too bright though).
http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi...t_id=861337213

Or you could try this. May be a bit big though.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ref=25&loc=YHS

Tony

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
[...]

wgander

I bought a light at Pep Boys for about $3. It's about 2" long and hooded. I
either used red nail polish on the bulb or bought a red bulb - don't
remember. The hood didn't block enough of the light from view, so I extended
the hood by lining the inside of the lens with foil; it blocks the light,
and reflects it. I mounted it so it would cast light on my row of switches.
I've been satisfied with it for over a year and it's helpful to others using
the boat who aren't familiar with the switches - now they can read the
labels. Cheaper than replacing all switches with illuminated toggles.

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Terry Spragg

Gary wrote:
[...]

I have an old aircraft cockpit light in my old cargo van. It
illuminates the heater controls, doghouse deck, radio and the
ashtray. It is dimmable, steerable, focusable, and has a filter for
red or white light. It was durable enough to serve in an aircraft
for ten years, and then in several trucks for another ten, after I
repaired it grom scrap. It has never even needed a light bulb
except the 12 V replacement for it's original 24 v lamp. I will take
it to my next old cargo van.

Today, I would get an LED and make a focus tube to illuminate only
desired areas.

Garth Almgren

Around 12/29/2004 6:56 PM, Gary wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for these, or perhaps a better solution to the
problem?

Better late than never...

How about one of these?
http://tinyurl.com/4ooba

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing