Default Coast Guard Licensing of Recreational Boaters

The January 2008 issue of SAIL magazine has an editorial about a forthcoming
Coast Guard mandatory license requirement for Recreational boaters. (nothing
to do with the existing license for charters). In addition, the Homeland
security bureaucrats are planning some other rules for pleasure craft:

http://www.aci-na.org/airports_updat...30.html#313384

Anybody know more about the CG License?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:29:12 -0500, Roger Long wrote:

"claus" wrote

The January 2008 issue of SAIL magazine has an editorial about a
forthcoming Coast Guard mandatory license requirement for Recreational
boaters.

This is coming just as irresistably as the growth of the Chinese economy.
(And no, Tom (whoever), I'm not advocating it.)

It has absolutely nothing to do with boating safety. Homeland security...

ah yes... but don't you think it rings a little truer when pronounced
"Sicherheit der Heimat"? I believe you Americans have the opportunity to
throw the fascists out fairly soon yes?

Roger Long wrote:
"claus" wrote

The January 2008 issue of SAIL magazine has an editorial about a
forthcoming Coast Guard mandatory license requirement for Recreational
boaters.

This is coming just as irresistably as the growth of the Chinese economy.
(And no, Tom (whoever), I'm not advocating it.)

It has absolutely nothing to do with boating safety. Homeland security
wants to have a better idea who is on the water and be able to keep certain
people off the water so show to the rest of the public that they are being
protected. No, it's not terrorists they want to keep off the water, they
know the terrorists won't bother to get a license before they drive a boat
full of explosives into a tanker or ferry. They also know they can't really
stop that kind of event but they need to assure the public that "bad guys"
are being kept off the water. So, it doesn't even need to be bad guys. Any
guys will do. Did anyone see the 60 minutes show with 14 of the 500 or so
people who all had a common and thoroughly American name (something like,
"Michael Herbert Smith") who suddenly discovered that they couldn't fly
because the name somehow got on the No-Fly list. One of the DHS drones was
saying, "Having a few thousand innocent people unable to fly on commercial
airliners is a small price to pay for protecting our freedoms." Of course,
he didn't say it quite that way but that's what it translates to in normal
English. I guess being able to fly for business or personal reasons isn't a
freedom.

This will decimate the boating industry and be pretty painful to anyone who
wants to sell a boat. The industry is so over developed and crowded that
just a slowing in growth causes panic and a 10% drop in the number of
boating households would be right up there with an asteroid wiping out
Florida. How many people do you think would decide to take up some other
recreational activity if they needed a license? This will fit very nicely
with the DHS real agenda. If you are looking for the needle in a haystack
of a terrorist in a pleasure craft, the fewer straws out there, the better.

--
Roger Long

What if we could get the asteroid to wipe out just Orlando?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"claus" wrote

[...]

No disputing the rush to id for no reason, but I believe this is for boats
entering the US, not ones already here.

"subject small planes and boats entering the United States from other
countries" is the key phrase.

I doubt this will decimate the boating industry in the US.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message
There are two entirely separate issues and proposed regulations here. One
is inspection requirements and the other is licensing.

The first won't have much effect on the boating industry although it will
be a pain for international cruisers.

The second will have a huge impact.

Does anybody have any idea what kind of licensing requirements are planned?
I have "googled" the subject in different ways and all I can find is the
statement made by Chertoff some months ago. Amazing that there is evidently
no leak on this plan....

"claus" wrote in message
. ..

"Roger Long" wrote in message
There are two entirely separate issues and proposed regulations here.
One is inspection requirements and the other is licensing.

The first won't have much effect on the boating industry although it will
be a pain for international cruisers.

The second will have a huge impact.

Does anybody have any idea what kind of licensing requirements are
planned? I have "googled" the subject in different ways and all I can find
is the statement made by Chertoff some months ago. Amazing that there is
evidently no leak on this plan....

Your googling now has the interest of the DHS. Have you looked out the
window recently?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Roger Long" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote

No disputing the rush to id for no reason, but I believe this is for
boats entering the US, not ones already here.

"subject small planes and boats entering the United States from other
countries" is the key phrase.

I doubt this will decimate the boating industry in the US.

There are two entirely separate issues and proposed regulations here. One
is inspection requirements and the other is licensing.

The first won't have much effect on the boating industry although it will
be a pain for international cruisers.

The second will have a huge impact.

--
Roger Long

I haven't seen the article... Although I'm not enthusiastic about the
red-tape and hassle involved for licensing for regular boaters, I'm
wondering if it's such a terrible thing. (I should add that I'm likely not
affected, since I have a CG license.) One needs a license to operate a motor
vehicle, why not a floating vehicle?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:29:12 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Much snipped

This will decimate the boating industry and be pretty painful to anyone who
wants to sell a boat. The industry is so over developed and crowded that
just a slowing in growth causes panic and a 10% drop in the number of
boating households would be right up there with an asteroid wiping out
Florida. How many people do you think would decide to take up some other
recreational activity if they needed a license? This will fit very nicely
with the DHS real agenda. If you are looking for the needle in a haystack
of a terrorist in a pleasure craft, the fewer straws out there, the better.

I wonder whether you can still enlist in a pilot training course and
tell them that you don;t want to be bothered in learning how to land
an airplane?

In a more sensible mode, can anyone tell me where the HLS got all
their trained and experienced personal? From abroad it (HLS) appeared
to blossom into being almost over night with agents everywhere. Where
did they all come from?

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:29:12 -0500, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Much snipped

[...]

Probably rendintioned from Syria.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"claus" wrote in
:

Coast Guard mandatory license requirement for Recreational boaters.

The boat builders, who know most boat purchases are spontaneous and would
not happen if the boater had to go through training and testing to drive
it, have been very successful in seeing this never happens as it's bad for
business.....and business is really bad, anyways.

Isn't this just another method to bleed campaign funds out of manufacturers
in an election year?....(c;

Larry
--
QUOTE OF THE MONTH:
"I have been to several major Chinese cities and have seen first hand shops

How can they be fake? The Chinese make all "American Products" I use!

Coast Guard Debacle [email protected] General 8 June 8th 07 02:03 AM
Coast Guard reports sherwindu Cruising 3 June 27th 06 12:44 AM
CG may request 'proof of proficiency' for recreational boaters wf3h General 25 May 17th 06 02:28 AM
Don't mess with the Coast Guard! Scout ASA 14 July 10th 04 05:49 AM
Cdn. Coast Guard: Wow [email protected] General 2 July 18th 03 12:52 AM