RCE RCE is offline

Default Coast Guard Debacle

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...

no one should go into engineering. it's a dead end in the US.

It's sad but true. I saw the writing on the wall when I graduated from
Purdue in 1993 with a BSME. So I decided to go into dentistry instead.

It all depends on where you are heading with your degree.

A ball bearing engineer is probably a dead end job.

A guy designing containment vessels for plasma energy generation systems has
a very bright future.

Eisboch

"RCE" wrote in message news:t9CdnVeo0YHp-
A guy designing containment vessels for plasma energy generation systems
has a very bright future.

Only if his last name is Patel and he lives in New Delhi.

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:14:22 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

no one should go into engineering. it's a dead end in the US.

It's sad but true. I saw the writing on the wall when I graduated from
Purdue in 1993 with a BSME. So I decided to go into dentistry instead.

It all depends on where you are heading with your degree.

A ball bearing engineer is probably a dead end job.

A guy designing containment vessels for plasma energy generation systems has
a very bright future.

Eisboch

actually i find that the faster growing, future oriented technologies
are in the most danger.

as foreign countries develop they target these industries, just like
they did the semiconductor industry. they have a short learning curve
and they're aggressive.

i'm not sure what to tell a young engineer...become a lawyer?

On Jun 6, 5:17?pm, wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:14:22 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

no one should go into engineering. it's a dead end in the US.

It's sad but true. I saw the writing on the wall when I graduated from
Purdue in 1993 with a BSME. So I decided to go into dentistry instead.

It all depends on where you are heading with your degree.

A ball bearing engineer is probably a dead end job.

A guy designing containment vessels for plasma energy generation systems has
a very bright future.

Eisboch

actually i find that the faster growing, future oriented technologies
are in the most danger.

as foreign countries develop they target these industries, just like
they did the semiconductor industry. they have a short learning curve
and they're aggressive.

i'm not sure what to tell a young engineer...become a lawyer?- Hide quoted text -

We're a generation away from having almost no math based employment in
the US. My wife is a CPA, within several years of retirement, and has
done very well in her career rising to CFO of a bank.
If she were at the beginning of her career instead of nearing the end,
she would choose something else.

She says that clerk level accounting is being moved overseas,
primarily to India, at an astonishing pace by the largest players.
With computerization, it's possible to pay a college-educated worker
in India $500 US per month to sit and crunch numbers, run spread
sheets, and send the results back to the home office the very same
day. Fringe benefits, such as medical insurance, social security, etc,
for a US employee will cost more per month, before any hourly wages or
salary is considered, than the entire cost of employing a number-
cruncher in India.

I've been following the development of a new 40-foot boat pretty
closely.
The real secret to building this vessel has been a high powered CAD
program. Yes, the naval architect had to define the shapes,
dimensions, etc associated with the project, but the CAD program
resolved a lot of the problems that would have been handled on the
lofting floor back in the day. Pretty soon nobody will bother
"splashing" a boat they want to copy if they can find a way to
surreptitiously acquire the computer data.

I'm sure that the people running the CAD programs for many boat
manufacturers know a heck of a lot more about computers than they do
about boats

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:27:23 -0700, Chuck Gould
wrote:

Pretty soon nobody will bother
"splashing" a boat they want to copy if they can find a way to
surreptitiously acquire the computer data.

Take a few 3D pictures and a computer will generate the lines for you.