Default Windvanes

In "Roger Long" writes:

Ah, a tiller. Yes, a tiller installation would close the complexity gap
considerably but I have a wheel.

I very much like the appearance of something that is part of the boat
instead of another thing bolted on the back. Personal preference but I also
get a frame strong enough to support an effective emergency rudder and some
other things.

I won't argue about final choice but anyone, especially with a wheel, should
look closely at the Cap Horn.

BTW, I have looked at the Windpilot. Getting my boat ready for those "4
bolts" and wheel control lines would have been a considerable amount of
work as well. The Cap Horn took a lot of days but they were short days a
ways a way under less than optimum conditions. I also installed an electric
autopilot and reinforced a bulkhead at the same time.

The control lines need only one or two block each, with two you get them
better out of way. It took me two hours to install the Windpilot. I do
not know if this picture is good enough to show how it is:

http://www.helsinki.fi/~tarkkone/person/SansuliH6.jpg

- Lauri Tarkkonen

In "Lew Hodgett" writes:

"Roger Long" wrote:

Ah, a tiller. Yes, a tiller installation would close the complexity

gap
considerably but I have a wheel.

Take a look at the Fleming servo unit.

316L investment cast parts, common bearings with popular winches, no
control lines req'd, provides emergency rudder as std.

Add a push-pull stick type auto pilot and your home free.

Free that is, except in your wallet.

Lew

Fleming is in principle very much like Windpilot. The difference being
that now and then Fleming seems to be out of operation, but Förthman
keeps on working. I had a long discussion with Fleming representative in
London Boat show when I still was pondering various options. The fellow
making monitors is a Swede, I have discussed with thim several times at
London Boats show, but both Monitor and Aries are just too bulky and
have too much material where it is not needed.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

In "Roger Long" writes:

Purdy, yes. Looks very expensive.

Another big collection of flabingi on the back of a boat. When the vane is
stowed, a lot of people don't even realize I have a windvane on the boat.
It's a great handhold instead of an obstruction to the boarding ladder.

No more looking for me, I'm mated for life to my Cape Horn by six layers of
epoxy and fiberglass mat

--
Roger Long

Unless you sell your boat. If I sell my boat, I can loosen four bolts,
put some putty and topcoat to the holes and take my Windpilot with me.
Very few people are prepared to buy with the boat any gear at full
price.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Roger Long wrote:
There is a much better book out there, long out of print, from back in
the days when most of these were home brew items. See if you can find a
copy of (I think) "Self Steering for Sailing Craft" by John Letcher.
He's still in business at Aerohydro in Southwest Harbor, Maine so he
might be able to help. I wish I knew what happened to my copy.

Does your boat have a raked rudder? If so, the straight through, direct
connect tab is incredibly simple. Tabs do have problems but they can
also make hand steering a delight on even a heavy handed boat. You just
put in an adjustable auxilliary link to the tiller and use the tab to
take out the weather helm.

No, the rudder is vertical (and external).
She's a daysailer with delusions of cruising.

It looks to me like the tab sense is direct.
Whichever way the wind turns the vane, the tab should follow.

Will check Amazon for the book you mentioned.

Thank you.

Richard

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

There are several systems and it was very common before they came up
with the servo pendulum. If you have read Peter Förthmanns books, then
you should have noticed him explaining such things on pages 46-47 and
there are pictures of two on page 46.

I think you should take Peter's book seriously, he knows what he is
talking about. I studied this topic about 5 years before I decided on
the system and now my vife says: Why did you not buy this earlier.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Are you refering to the auxillary rudder approach on pager 46?

Roger Long wrote:

Purdy, yes. Looks very expensive.

Another big collection of flabingi on the back of a boat. When the vane
is stowed, a lot of people don't even realize I have a windvane on the
boat. It's a great handhold instead of an obstruction to the boarding
ladder.

No more looking for me, I'm mated for life to my Cape Horn by six layers
of epoxy and fiberglass mat

I followed the installation description on your web site and have to
agree. While the installation may be a bit complicated, the machine
itself is simple. And it's unobtrusive.

But that's for Strider. Won't work on my 18 footer...

But a mount behind the tiller might.

Richard

Wayne.B wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:13:20 -0600, cavelamb himself
wrote:

I've read the book, looked at the setup Roger has on Strider and
just can't go there (my boat is just way too small).

What about a small tiller pilot with a small wind vane sensor?

That's about what I drew up last night to check out my thinking.
Looks simple enough at first blush but I'd love to see some prior art
on the subject.

My ex-wife is a chemestry professor. She often says,"Twoo weeks in the
lab will save three days inthe library every time".

Made her point.

Richard

In cavelamb himself writes:

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

There are several systems and it was very common before they came up
with the servo pendulum. If you have read Peter Förthmanns books, then
you should have noticed him explaining such things on pages 46-47 and
there are pictures of two on page 46.

I think you should take Peter's book seriously, he knows what he is
talking about. I studied this topic about 5 years before I decided on
the system and now my vife says: Why did you not buy this earlier.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Are you refering to the auxillary rudder approach on pager 46?

There is one wit an auxiliary and one on the main rudder.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Roger Long wrote:
"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote

Unless you sell your boat. If I sell my boat, I can loosen four bolts,

That might have influenced my thinking if I planned on selling the
boat. My plan is to sail it until everyone I know is shaking their
heads and saying, "We've got to get the old guy off the boat before he
hurts himself."

The economics of boats are such a black hole though that the lose of
value I would get selling the windvane would be the least of it. I've
got about 40K of hard cash and hard labor in a boat I would be lucky to
get 16 thousand for in today's depressed market. Nobody wants old
sailboats no matter how solid they are.

Don't know much about today's depressed market where you are, but 16K
looks at least 10K low to me, compared to what other similar boats sell
for here in the PNW.

Stephen

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Roger Long wrote:
"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote

Unless you sell your boat. If I sell my boat, I can loosen four
bolts, ....

That might have influenced my thinking if I planned on selling the
boat. My plan is to sail it until everyone I know is shaking their
heads and saying, "We've got to get the old guy off the boat before he
hurts himself."

The economics of boats are such a black hole though that the lose of
value I would get selling the windvane would be the least of it. I've
got about 40K of hard cash and hard labor in a boat I would be lucky
to get 16 thousand for in today's depressed market. Nobody wants old
sailboats no matter how solid they are.

Don't know much about today's depressed market where you are, but 16K
looks at least 10K low to me, compared to what other similar boats sell
for here in the PNW.

Stephen

Go to yachtworld and compare prices on the same boat in the PNW and
the NE. Significant differences.
Gordon