Default Windvanes

How about a spirited, yet polite discussion of various wind vane systems
currently available?

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net

In "Dennis Gibbons" writes:

How about a spirited, yet polite discussion of various wind vane systems
currently available?

Why cant you go trhough the old threads, as about everything is said
already about this topic.

For starters I suggest you read Peter Forthmans exellent book, that can
be loaded fee from the addres: http://www.windpilot.de/

Then you can come back.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net

Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 11, 11:57 am, "Dennis Gibbons" wrote:
How about a spirited, yet polite discussion of various wind vane systems
currently available?

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net

okay......................

Dont use them. Just more **** on deck and stuff to go wrong.
Bob

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:
In "Dennis Gibbons" writes:

How about a spirited, yet polite discussion of various wind vane systems
currently available?

Why cant you go trhough the old threads, as about everything is said
already about this topic.

For starters I suggest you read Peter Forthmans exellent book, that can
be loaded fee from the addres: http://www.windpilot.de/

Then you can come back.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

--
Dennis Gibbons
dkgibbons at optonline dot net

hydrovane.com also has some useful information with perhaps a different
point of view (aux rudder vs. servo pendulum)

I have a home made aux rudder with trim tab arrangement that works well
but that makes reversing difficult.
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 12, 6:14 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
I thought it was good advice Lauri's reply to look up what has already been
said. Just in case you miss it, here's the link to my windvane installation
page:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Windvane.htm

Ignore Bob's reply. The windvane is the best thing I ever did for the boat,
even for coastal cruising.

--
Roger Long

Good Morning Roger:

Youre up early today. Or are you on the east coast? I agree, best to
ignore the flavor of my message but I truely hold with nyet on the
whirlly birds on a boat. But as with everything about boats it really
boils down to a philosophy.

THere is a joke among the Euro crusiers Ive met. Even read the same
comment somplace. "You can always tell an American boat because of all
the **** on deck." You know, bikes, boats, sailboards, cans, wind
vanes, etc.

As an engineer, Im sure you can "see" an engineer's desgn philosophy
with one look at a boat or motorcycle.

I wonder what WIllburr would say about windmills?

Hope your day goes well Roger.
Bob

But I am sure there is a significant number who

In "Roger Long" writes:

Bob,

The tone of your reply makes a lot more sense to me when I read what you
just posted and realize that you are tilting at windmills.

I think, but maybe I'm wrong, that the OP was talking about windVANES, those
wonderful devices that steer the boat without using any of the electrical
power that would be produced by a windMILL.

I have no experience with the latter aside from occasionally wondering how
people put up with the noise when I get close to one.

I have had an Aerogen wind generator for some 20 years, and it is
SILENT, so why should one buy a noisy one, when silent ones are available.

- Lauri Tarkkonen
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 12, 8:04 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
Bob,

The tone of your reply makes a lot more sense to me when I read what you
just posted and realize that you are tilting at windmills.

I think, but maybe I'm wrong, that the OP was talking about windVANES, those
wonderful devices that steer the boat without using any of the electrical
power that would be produced by a windMILL.

I have no experience with the latter aside from occasionally wondering how
people put up with the noise when I get close to one.

--
Roger Long

Hey Roger !

Duhhh, a second read I find myself embarrassed by my critical and
shallow understanding of the post.
You are right ! Ah, wind vanes............ got one, an Aries. Works
great but always a bit nervous when stuffing the stern into a tight
slip. Lots of money hanging off the stern to get bent out of shape.

Thanks for the correction Roger. But I still draw the line at wind
mills on a boat.

Bob

In . com Bob writes:

[...]

If you had a Windpilot, you did not have this problem. :-).

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Lauri,
Read Peter's book and have emailed back and forth with him. Unfortunately,
old thread on that subject no longer available.

BTW, what is your experience with the Windpilot?