cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Windvanes

Roger Long wrote:
There is a much better book out there, long out of print, from back in
the days when most of these were home brew items. See if you can find a
copy of (I think) "Self Steering for Sailing Craft" by John Letcher.
He's still in business at Aerohydro in Southwest Harbor, Maine so he
might be able to help. I wish I knew what happened to my copy.

Does your boat have a raked rudder? If so, the straight through, direct
connect tab is incredibly simple. Tabs do have problems but they can
also make hand steering a delight on even a heavy handed boat. You just
put in an adjustable auxilliary link to the tiller and use the tab to
take out the weather helm.

No, the rudder is vertical (and external).
She's a daysailer with delusions of cruising.

It looks to me like the tab sense is direct.
Whichever way the wind turns the vane, the tab should follow.

Will check Amazon for the book you mentioned.

Thank you.

Richard