Default Used Sails,, Best Place to Buy.. question

Russ Barron wrote:

I have had good experience with Bacon
http://www.baconsails.com/

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:30:17 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

Looking for cruising spinnaker, gennaker, drifter, or such... since I sail
very short handed :::: check my post under single handed sailing..

Anyhow,,, where is a good starting off place to find a useable second hand
cruising spinnaker?

Or any used sails?

We've used Bacon too and have been happy with them..

Capt Rob fancies himself as an entrepreneur middleman - no middleman,
no profit. It's a New York thing.

Beware of people who are critical of things they know nothing about.
Wayne's response is exactly why I won't post the name of the loft.
Now, for the fellow who said he had a Capri 18....

Capri 18 Tri-radial main with full or partial battens, two reefs and
leech lines. Using contender cloths:

Dacron = 480.00
Kevlar = 700.00

Now what does Airforce sails, an online seller want for just a
run-of-the-mill crosscut sail? Try 600 dollars! And if you go to UK or
North you'll pay even more and that's with their seasonal discounts.
I'm no middle man and I don't make a profit from these. I simply have a
friend who's been running a loft for quite a few years. E-mail me for
the name of the loft. Why does it matter if it's posted here or not?
It's your money.

Good luck,

Robert
35s5
NY

On 30 Oct 2006 20:04:37 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Capt Rob fancies himself as an entrepreneur middleman - no middleman,
no profit. It's a New York thing.

Beware of people who are critical of things they know nothing about.
Wayne's response is exactly why I won't post the name of the loft.
Now, for the fellow who said he had a Capri 18....

Let me call your bluff on this one. Why not post the contact
information for "your friend the sailmaker" on rec.boats.marketplace
where commercial posts are acceptable?

You've certainly made enough posts there for your own merchandise.

Let me call your bluff on this one. Why not post the contact
information for "your friend the sailmaker" on rec.boats.marketplace
where commercial posts are acceptable?

Bluff??? I didn't even think of posting there because it's generally
very inactive for this sort of thing. Oh well....I posted the same info
AND the loft name there, Wayne. Rather than be negative, why not
contact me and see what I can do for you or just get the details? The
loft hooked me up and I told them I'd plug them, which has gone well.
But I'm doing it as legally as possible. Mention me and the "ad" and
get better pricing. What do I get out of it? Well, maybe some better
pricing on my new chute for next spring.

Cheers,

Robert
35s5 Heart of Gold
City Island, NY

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

Well, I gotta say that's the best price I've seen anywhere.

My sails are the origonal equipment (20 years old!) and while still
servicible, well....

Thanks.

Richard

"Dave" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:24:24 -0700, Paul Cassel
said:

Seems like b.s. to me. Why not just say what this majick loft is.

Bobby gets a kickback ( in the form of free sails) from this outfit on the
customers he sends them. If he posted the name he wouldn't get proper
"credit" for any resulting sales.

Even if this is true, why should it matter? If the loft beats other's prices
and matches their work, is it any skin off anyone's nose if Bobby gets
freebies for hooking folks up? Much ado about nothing, to my mind.

Bobby gets a kickback ( in the form of free sails) from this outfit on the
customers he sends them. If he posted the name he wouldn't get proper
"credit" for any resulting sales.

Gee, Dave...I just posted the name of the loft as wayne asked in the
boats for sale area. 4 people from this thread asked for info and I put
them in touch with the loft directly. It's amazing how cynical folks
are, but even if I worked in a kickback of some sort (If enough folks
ask me for quotes it's an idea!) the prices would still be unbeatable.
Ask me for a quote, Dave, and see for yourself. Give me the sail
specifics for your boat. You don't have to buy the sail, just tell us
if you think it's a good price or not (Assuming the sail is good
quality).

Robert
35s5
NY

Even if this is true, why should it matter? If the loft beats other's
prices
and matches their work, is it any skin off anyone's nose if Bobby gets
freebies for hooking folks up? Much ado about nothing, to my mind.

Thanks. But really, I get no kickbacks. I hope to get a low low price
on a chute if I throw some business his way though.
The fact is that I really was well treated by this loft on two used and
one new sail. Several of my friends are now ordering from them.

Robert
35s5
NY

Okay....four folks asked for quotes. Two had blocked addresses. One I
think got through after I signed in. Dan, yours doesn't work at all
when I reply. Any ideas?

RB
35s5
NY

Hey, I'm just answering the guy's question. I would, however, recommend a little independent due
diligence.

You're trolling and not earning any points. I offered to quote you for
sails and honestly report on the pricing.
I see you have no answer for that.
You can also contact the loft directly and see for yourself.
I guess you'll have no answer to that either.
This is not ASA so I won't answer you further unless you ask for a
quote or respond fairly.

Robert
35s5
NY