Default Used Sails,, Best Place to Buy.. question

sounds like a loft to avoid.

SBV

"Dave" wrote in message

The sails Somerset made for me were pretty good. We were

killer fast with the mylar head sail he made. The problem
in not the sails, it is dealing with Martin. Everyone who

deals with him seems to have one hassle or another. He
apparently does not take any notes when taking calls, and

does not remember the details of his conversations well.
My advice if you are so allured by the prices would be to

put all your corrospondance in writing, and avoid any
situation where he owes you something.

[Name omitted] wrote:
My 2 cents - My experience wasn't so good with

Somerset. Great price in
January on a new main and genoa, was supposed to be

pentex for the price of
dacron, but when it came to May delivery there were lots

of excuses about
material problems, and that he had accidentally made the

main with 2 reefs
instead of 3. After remaking, he did them in kevlar, a

more expensive
material for the same price. Made me feel a bit better,

but when they
arrived - the main wasn't a triradial like ordered, and

the third reef was
not done right - he basically ignored the sail specs for

the boat which
especially highlighted. Then had trouble with slides

breaking, resulting in
luff damage. Also, the UV strip on the genoa made the

leach curl - my fault
according to sommerset. He did fix the reef and luff -

but what a hassle,
and Martin is so defensive! After all that the sails'

racing performance
improvement was not noticeable, quite different than the

last set of dacron
sails I got a few years ago. An unhappy customer, in

spite of the great
price. On the other hand, someone else at our club seems

to be happy with
his sails.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the prices and

service I'm getting from
my local loft. His prices have been good, and he does what

he says he'll do.
If I were to deal with Sommerset, I think I'd be inclined

to follow the
above advice--deal directly with him and put it in

writing, rather than
playing telephone.

Bacon's in Annapolis.
http://www.baconsails.com/

Whatever you do, don't buy those cheap new/used sails from a
guy named ''Capt Rob''. I've heard nothing but bad things
about dealings with him.

SBV

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Looking for cruising spinnaker, gennaker, drifter, or

such... since I sail
very short handed :::: check my post under single handed

sailing..

Anyhow,,, where is a good starting off place to find a

useable second hand
cruising spinnaker?

Or any used sails?

Caveat Emptor ! Caveat Emptor ! Caveat Emptor !

Caveat Emptor !

Caveat Emptor !

Caveat Emptor !

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
.net...
Capt. Rob wrote:
Capt Rob fancies himself as an entrepreneur middleman -

no middleman,
no profit. It's a New York thing.

Beware of people who are critical of things they know

nothing about.
Wayne's response is exactly why I won't post the name of

the loft.
Now, for the fellow who said he had a Capri 18....

Capri 18 Tri-radial main with full or partial battens,

two reefs and
leech lines. Using contender cloths:

Dacron = 480.00
Kevlar = 700.00

Now what does Airforce sails, an online seller want for

just a
run-of-the-mill crosscut sail? Try 600 dollars! And if

you go to UK or
North you'll pay even more and that's with their

seasonal discounts.
I'm no middle man and I don't make a profit from these.

I simply have a
friend who's been running a loft for quite a few years.

E-mail me for
the name of the loft. Why does it matter if it's posted

here or not?
It's your money.

Good luck,

Robert
35s5
NY

Well, I gotta say that's the best price I've seen

anywhere.

My sails are the origonal equipment (20 years old!) and

while still
servicible, well....

Thanks.

Richard

Caveat Emptor !

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...

Let me call your bluff on this one. Why not post the

contact
information for "your friend the sailmaker" on

rec.boats.marketplace
where commercial posts are acceptable?

Bluff??? I didn't even think of posting there because it's

generally
very inactive for this sort of thing. Oh well....I posted

the same info
AND the loft name there, Wayne. Rather than be negative,

why not
contact me and see what I can do for you or just get the

details? The
loft hooked me up and I told them I'd plug them, which has

gone well.
But I'm doing it as legally as possible. Mention me and

the "ad" and
get better pricing. What do I get out of it? Well, maybe

some better
pricing on my new chute for next spring.

Cheers,

Robert
35s5 Heart of Gold
City Island, NY

Default SLANDER

You should also know this;

Capt ( he's not a real Capt BTW) Rob is the most
deplorable, despicable , foul mouthed pond scum to ever post
on usenet.

SBV

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

Give it a rest, folks. You should know this:
1) No good deed goes unpunished.
2) There is no kindness too great to avoid being sneering

at.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Isn't this post considered SPAM?

Isnt selling things on this NG a no-no?

SBV

"Capt. ****head Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Capt. Rob wrote:
Okay....four folks asked for quotes. Two had blocked

addresses. One I
think got through after I signed in. Dan, yours doesn't

work at all
when I reply. Any ideas?

Dan, here's a quote....somewhat vague, but you can work

that out with
the loft directly.

125% genoa Cruise Radial sail = 480.00

You can also get a full tri-radial or a kevlar, which is

ONLY available
in Triradial.

Oh, and here's a real comment from a customer:

Comment: "After considering all of the sailmakers above

and several
not listed, I purchased my new mainsail from Martin at

Somerset Sails
in Barker, NY. The price was very competitive and the

quality the best
I have seen." Max Lent (New 8/06)

And the link for it:
http://www.freedom21.info/sails.htm

FYI, if you feel that you must have a major loft I also

can get a
discount from Doyle, but it will still be more expensive.

They also
make great sails of course.

Robert
35s5
NY

Caveat Lector! Well, both.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Caveat Emptor !

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
[...]

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Caveat Lector! Well, both.

Hannibal's brother?

Why go through this troublemaker when you can contact the
loft direct at 1-800-323-9464. Or you can get a quote via
e-mail to

SV

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
et...
Capt. Rob wrote:
Seems like b.s. to me. Why not just say what this majick

loft is.

Tell you what....e-mail me the brand/size of the boat

and I'll post the
quote for your sails right here. If you think it's BS

after that
everyone will know. Okay?

Robert
Beneteau 35s5