Scotty Scotty is offline

Default Used Sails,, Best Place to Buy.. question

sounds like a loft to avoid.

SBV

"Dave" wrote in message

The sails Somerset made for me were pretty good. We were

killer fast with the mylar head sail he made. The problem
in not the sails, it is dealing with Martin. Everyone who

deals with him seems to have one hassle or another. He
apparently does not take any notes when taking calls, and

does not remember the details of his conversations well.
My advice if you are so allured by the prices would be to

put all your corrospondance in writing, and avoid any
situation where he owes you something.

[Name omitted] wrote:
My 2 cents - My experience wasn't so good with

Somerset. Great price in
January on a new main and genoa, was supposed to be

pentex for the price of
dacron, but when it came to May delivery there were lots

of excuses about
material problems, and that he had accidentally made the

main with 2 reefs
instead of 3. After remaking, he did them in kevlar, a

more expensive
material for the same price. Made me feel a bit better,

but when they
arrived - the main wasn't a triradial like ordered, and

the third reef was
not done right - he basically ignored the sail specs for

the boat which
especially highlighted. Then had trouble with slides

breaking, resulting in
luff damage. Also, the UV strip on the genoa made the

leach curl - my fault
according to sommerset. He did fix the reef and luff -

but what a hassle,
and Martin is so defensive! After all that the sails'

racing performance
improvement was not noticeable, quite different than the

last set of dacron
sails I got a few years ago. An unhappy customer, in

spite of the great
price. On the other hand, someone else at our club seems

to be happy with
his sails.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the prices and

service I'm getting from
my local loft. His prices have been good, and he does what

he says he'll do.
If I were to deal with Sommerset, I think I'd be inclined

to follow the
above advice--deal directly with him and put it in

writing, rather than
playing telephone.