Rosalie B.

Default Marina Etiquette

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

Relying on people to do the right thing WRT power is a waste of time.

Like relying on the marina to have it properly set up?

Well Roger did say they got their equipment at salvage.

Rosalie B.

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

The probability in question was for if the live end of the cord fell
into the water. Roger's scenario had someone jumping into the water
after it, and then someone going in to rescue them. I can totally
agree that people who have no skills will often try to rescue someone
and die in the futile attempt. Happens a lot, especially in confined
space accidents.

It doesn't take much for someone to accidentally fall into the water. Be
they drunk, incompetent, tired, disoriented from a day on the waves or just
plain unlucky. There shouldn't be the added risk of FATALITY due to someone
leaving a LIVE cord lying about.

I think if someone falls into the water accidentally (and I have done
that BTW and I was neither drunk, or disoriented although we will
leave incompetent TBDL*) the greatest risk is of drowning. Which is a
fatality.

While I'm always a fan of the saying "Being stupid should hurt" it's not
supposed to be fatal. But I'll stop one step short of using the tired "what
about risks to CHILDREN!" shrill cry...

I don't think anything more than that is needed until such time as
someone talks to the marina and/or the boater.

This is true.

(*When I fell in it was early November (in the marina which is off the
Potomac River), it was because I was folding the sails and
accidentally backed off the end of the dock. My first thought, as I
hit the water was "I'm going to die of hypothermia". I didn't
obviously.)
Roger Long

"Rosalie B." wrote

I think the main hazard that Roger cited would be to people who had
legitimate reason to be in the water (like divers working on a prop)
and who did not know that the cord was in the water or if the cord
fell in while they were working.

Actually, I was envisioning someone leaning over to helpfully pull the
cord (which might look like a hose to a non boater) out of the water,
getting to the part that was wet with salt water, being surprised by
the tingle, and then pitching in.

--

Roger Long

Bob

Roger Long wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote

I think the main hazard that Roger cited would be to people who had
legitimate reason to be in the water (like divers working on a prop)
and who did not know that the cord was in the water or if the cord
fell in while they were working.

Actually, I was envisioning someone leaning over to helpfully pull the
cord (which might look like a hose to a non boater) out of the water,
getting to the part that was wet with salt water, being surprised by
the tingle, and then pitching in.

Roger Long

Any body ever too lazy after three beers with the guy a cople boats
over and just unfurl your short arm and take a **** over the side?

ZAPppp !
OUCH !

When I am working on my boat it sure is easy to just neel down and
rinse off my hands in the water.

And then there are the steel piles the dock is connected to. Guess I
better not touch them.
Oh, the dock water supply that runs through 1/2' galvanized pipe. Guess
I can not touch that.

I guess that is purdy stpid of me to think the marina water wont kill
me.
Too many what-ifs.

Bob

Jeff

Roger Long wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote

I think the main hazard that Roger cited would be to people who had
legitimate reason to be in the water (like divers working on a prop)
and who did not know that the cord was in the water or if the cord
fell in while they were working.

Actually, I was envisioning someone leaning over to helpfully pull the
cord (which might look like a hose to a non boater) out of the water,
getting to the part that was wet with salt water, being surprised by
the tingle, and then pitching in.

While electrocutions are not that common, the CG accident reports
typically shows several each year from faulty shore power. The report
is not specific on what actually transpired, but they do say that
shore power vs swimmer accidents shall be included as "boating accidents."

Peter

Bill Kearney wrote:
Relying on people to do the right thing WRT power is a waste of time.

Like relying on the marina to have it properly set up?

Well, yeah, you should be able to rely on the marina to do what's
technologically possible and cheap to protect fools from themselves,
and others from fools. As I said, RCD's are cheap. There really isn't
any good excuse for not using them and it makes a live cable immersed
in sal****er impossible, barring some sort of wierd RCD failure. The
only time I've had one of these things go bad, it went open circuit so
no current flowed ie a fail-safe condition.

PDW

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

What do you do when your marina neighbors are endangering other users,
your guests, and the metal parts of your boat?

I *like* our dock at Tolchester. We have an agreement that if something
is objectionable, it's perfectly okay to board another's boat and
correct it. We got stuck in the marina last weekend with 20+ sustained
and 35 knot gusts putting us on the lee shore and exactly one halyard
clanged -- sometimes.

What you did would have been perfectly acceptable in our world, except
that the owner would have liked a note stuffed through his companionway
explaining the situation.

'Course our dock may be a bit "different". Even with those gusts, most
on the dock went out and tried to sail -- for a half hour or so. Those
winds and waves were brutal.

Pat and I weren't in that crowd as we're cruisers: If it doesn't look
like fun, we're perfectly comfortable sitting still, wherever we are.
We've sailed worse, but neither of us suffer from testosterone poisoning.

--
Jere Lull