Jere Lull

Default Marina Etiquette

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

What do you do when your marina neighbors are endangering other users,
your guests, and the metal parts of your boat?

I *like* our dock at Tolchester. We have an agreement that if something
is objectionable, it's perfectly okay to board another's boat and
correct it. We got stuck in the marina last weekend with 20+ sustained
and 35 knot gusts putting us on the lee shore and exactly one halyard
clanged -- sometimes.

What you did would have been perfectly acceptable in our world, except
that the owner would have liked a note stuffed through his companionway
explaining the situation.

'Course our dock may be a bit "different". Even with those gusts, most
on the dock went out and tried to sail -- for a half hour or so. Those
winds and waves were brutal.

Pat and I weren't in that crowd as we're cruisers: If it doesn't look
like fun, we're perfectly comfortable sitting still, wherever we are.
We've sailed worse, but neither of us suffer from testosterone poisoning.

--
Jere Lull