Rosalie B.

Default Marina Etiquette

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

The probability in question was for if the live end of the cord fell
into the water. Roger's scenario had someone jumping into the water
after it, and then someone going in to rescue them. I can totally
agree that people who have no skills will often try to rescue someone
and die in the futile attempt. Happens a lot, especially in confined
space accidents.

It doesn't take much for someone to accidentally fall into the water. Be
they drunk, incompetent, tired, disoriented from a day on the waves or just
plain unlucky. There shouldn't be the added risk of FATALITY due to someone
leaving a LIVE cord lying about.

I think if someone falls into the water accidentally (and I have done
that BTW and I was neither drunk, or disoriented although we will
leave incompetent TBDL*) the greatest risk is of drowning. Which is a
fatality.

While I'm always a fan of the saying "Being stupid should hurt" it's not
supposed to be fatal. But I'll stop one step short of using the tired "what
about risks to CHILDREN!" shrill cry...

I don't think anything more than that is needed until such time as
someone talks to the marina and/or the boater.

This is true.

(*When I fell in it was early November (in the marina which is off the
Potomac River), it was because I was folding the sails and
accidentally backed off the end of the dock. My first thought, as I
hit the water was "I'm going to die of hypothermia". I didn't
obviously.)