Bill McKee

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

"Don White" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"ladysailor" wrote in message
ups.com...

You're right, I take off my hat and gloves when I'm being harassed by
obnoxious morons and turn straight away into a ****ed off sailor.

Probably like a lot if sailors, you turn when ever you want, and then
yell at a power boat for impeding you.

If you don't like the collision regulations, sell that stinkpot and take
up golf.

Another "sailor". It is also up to the sailboat to avoid a collision. I
have heard "sailors" declare they have the right of way over a tanker
entering the Golden Gate. There is no right of way, and the tanker has
preference, and if they collide, the sailor's estate may have to pay to fix
the scratches in the paint of the tankers hull.

Jonathan Ganz

In article . net,
Bill McKee bmckee=at-ix.netcom.com wrote:

"Don White" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"ladysailor" wrote in message
ups.com...

You're right, I take off my hat and gloves when I'm being harassed by
obnoxious morons and turn straight away into a ****ed off sailor.

Another "sailor". It is also up to the sailboat to avoid a collision. I
have heard "sailors" declare they have the right of way over a tanker
entering the Golden Gate. There is no right of way, and the tanker has
preference, and if they collide, the sailor's estate may have to pay to fix
the scratches in the paint of the tankers hull.

Yep. Except you can leave off the quotes. It's up to everyone to avoid
a collision. Still, you've not made any point here. There are always
stupid people or people who don't know the rules of the road. The
tanker in the bay have stand on status. Other vessels must give
way. Don't worry, if you try to claim stand on status with a tanker,
they'll let you know their preference.

BTW, you usually wouldn't be t-boned by the tanker. Probably the bow
wake would push you aside, then flip the boat around, then you'd smash
into the side of the hull, shattering your boat like an egg. A few
seconds later, the prop would finish the job.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bill McKee

"Don White" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

I see you do not know what happens when the tanker T bones you. And if your
sailboat is of any size, you will get Teed. And what about your sailboat
with sails up and motor running?

Jonathan Ganz

In article et,
Bill McKee bmckee=at-ix.netcom.com wrote:
I see you do not know what happens when the tanker T bones you. And if your
sailboat is of any size, you will get Teed. And what about your sailboat
with sails up and motor running?

Well, having never actually experienced it, I can only go by what a
local CG offical told us at a seminar. I'm sure he could be wrong.

What about it? It's in the regs. Is the engine engaged or just
running? Are you talking about the propulsion system or the genset?
What about electric engines that are engaged and running but only
regenerating the batteries?

Do you know how you're supposed to tell other boats what you're doing
when your engine is engaged and your sails are up after dark? How
about during the day?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bill McKee

[...]

If your gas engine is running, you are a power boat! If you are in neutral,
engine running, you are a power boat, if your sails are up and your motor is
running, you are a powerboat.

Jonathan Ganz

In article . net,
Bill McKee bmckee=at-ix.netcom.com wrote:
What about it? It's in the regs. Is the engine engaged or just
running? Are you talking about the propulsion system or the genset?
What about electric engines that are engaged and running but only
regenerating the batteries?

Do you know how you're supposed to tell other boats what you're doing
when your engine is engaged and your sails are up after dark? How
about during the day?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

If your gas engine is running, you are a power boat! If you are in neutral,
engine running, you are a power boat, if your sails are up and your motor is
running, you are a powerboat.

What about the other questions.... come on, show us you know the regs.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bill McKee

[...]

Was up to you to show the regs.

Jeff

Bill McKee wrote:

If your gas engine is running, you are a power boat! If you are in neutral,
engine running, you are a power boat,

Wrong! The propulsion system must be "used" for it to be a sailboat.
It is clearly true that if you see a sailboat, with the sails up,
making way as a sailboat, and not showing the steaming light or cone,
you must treat it as a sailboat.

And similarly, if you are being treated as a sailboat, it would be
best to behave in a consistent manner.

On the other hand, if you had an engine available for immediate use,
and failed to use it to avoid a collision, you'd have some serious
explaining to do! But, that would also be true even if the engine
wasn't running.

This does not mean, of course, that a sailboat under power can slip
into neutral anytime and suddenly claim rights as a sailor. But, if
an engine is running it doesn't mean it is automatically a powerboat.
For example, some engines require several minutes of warmup before
they can be engaged.
Scotty

"Bill McKee" wrote

If your gas engine is running, you are a power boat!

WHEW! That's a relief. I've got a diesel engine. I'd hate to
be labeled a power boater.

SV

Capt. JG

All of our inboard are diesel, so I guess we're home free and can run into
whomever we want. Thanks for the tip!

Do our outboards count if they're running but in neutral? How about if I
leave the prop out of the water while it's running and just feed the water
intake from a hose?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com