The_Giz

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

"I have no sympathy for the jet ski enthustiast."

And I have no sympathy for you or your dog.

If the PWC'ers are violating the local laws or ordinances then they are
criminals and should be dealt with. We don't hate cars and drivers because
some people use them illegally.

If they are following the letter of the law and you just "don't like the
noise"... then the problem is with YOU. Unless you own your own lake,
you're not guaranteed "quiet and solitude".

It should probably also be noted that the new generation of PWC's are
amazingly quiet... usually quieter than any other powered "boat" out there.

Giz

"ladysailor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have no sympathy for the jet ski enthustiast. Too many times I've
been in a tight situation on a sail boat when these dick heads think
it's funny to ride doughnuts around us. Not to mention the times we've
been at anchor and they scream around our boat just to get a rise out
of our little dog who hates the noise they make.

I'm with the dog, I don't like the noise either!

Lady Sailor

Capt. JG

"The_Giz" wrote in message
"I have no sympathy for the jet ski enthustiast."

And I have no sympathy for you or your dog.

If the PWC'ers are violating the local laws or ordinances then they are
criminals and should be dealt with. We don't hate cars and drivers
because some people use them illegally.

Well, some of us do, but on general principles.

If they are following the letter of the law and you just "don't like the
noise"... then the problem is with YOU. Unless you own your own lake,
you're not guaranteed "quiet and solitude".

There is a presumption of quiet enjoyment in most anchorages. And, what
happened to the spirit of the law, rather than just the letter of the law?
The point is that being a good neighbor has more to do with the former than
the latter.

It should probably also be noted that the new generation of PWC's are
amazingly quiet... usually quieter than any other powered "boat" out
there.

I guess I don't get out enough. I have yet to run over, I mean run into, I
mean see/hear one of these.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Skip Gundlach

Capt. JG wrote:

I guess I don't get out enough. I have yet to run over, I mean run into, I
mean see/hear one of these.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Hi, Jon,

Yes, it's true. I just sold my lake home near Atlanta, on the way out
the door, so to speak, to cutting the cord.

The last few days I was there, after spending most of the summer and
prior two seasons working on the Flying Pig, thus not having a chance
to see it, either, I saw several of the new breed of jetskis (well,
technically, PWC - I can't speak to what actual Jetskis are like).

Much to my surprise, I could scarcely hear them. They made every bit
as much wake at slow speed, and were every bit as zippy at high speed,
as the PWC they looked like, but - while I could tell it was running -
it sounded a bit like a high quality I/O with a better than usual
muffling job.

It reminded me much more of a car than a boat noise...

FWIW, on Lanier, where I used to live, we have gotten a bit more of the
new breed rider than the old of late, which is refreshing to think
about. Even though I'm not going to be on that lake again, most
likely, ever, it's encouraging to see the evolution.

And, in my runabout, if I see a jumper, I enjoy(ed) giving them a
suitable wake, in an appropriate area. Some of them are definitely
balletic. OTOH, the only two boats I have left which can do that are
for sale and won't go "on the boat" with us, so I suspect I'll have to
enjoy others' provisions, if there are any, in our cruising grounds
:{))

L8R

Skip, recovering from nasal and sinus surgery on the way to active
shoulder rehab so I can get back to final refit and cut the cord

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Scotty wrote:
Ok, I'll admit about 90% of the jet skiers I see are no problem.
I even wave to some of them. It's that other 10% that zip around
anchorage's and run in circles and ride boat wakes and generally
are just so damn annoying that it's easy to just want to
eliminate the whole bunch. but then, that wouldn't be fair,now,
would it?

SV

Probably about comparable to the corresponding percentage for
recreational boaters in general, wouln't you agree? Thanks Scotty.
Oh and thanks on behalf of all of us for those friendly waves...

richforman

wrote in message
oups.com...
But it's true Scotty, I don't know why I'm letting you engage

me in
this stupid discussion, slow day at work I guess, but I can

tell you,
I've been riding pwc's full time for eight years now and know

I'm as
much of a boater as anyone else out there on the water, and so

are my
many very experienced, capable pwcing friends (many of whom

have bigger
boats as well)....with a lot of the same issues,

responsibilities,
interests, concerns, and passions, as anybody in a bigger boat.

What
I've noticed and must tell myself to keep in mind, is that I

pretty
much never get this kind of obnoxious, elitist, prejudiced,

smug,
superior anti-pwc attitude from any fellow boaters that I

actually
encounter out on the water, on the beaches, at the docks, at

boating
safety classes, etc.....only from usenet assholes......I always

feel
like a welcome member of the boating community just like

anybody else
on the water, except on boating newsgroups. Sure, sometimes

they're
surprised to see us at different places out there, like

crossing over
to Block Island from Montauk or cruising the Hudson River in

our dry
suits in 50-degree temperatures this last weekend, but pretty

much
always friendly and respectful.

richforman

John

I'm guessing what you saw was what is becoming typical in PWC's - four
cycle engines. Was it Lake Tahoe that was 4 cycle engines only?
You also made a good point. Why is boat owners act like they own their
wake. Your wake and the jetskiers who jump them are behind you. The
only piece of water you own is the one your boat is on at the time and
the water in your right away. Are boaters really worried that a jetski
is going to hit them even though the jetski is waiting for the wake,
and are traveling perpendicular to your boat's path..behind you!

Giz, I totally agree with you. If jetskiers do anything illegal they
deserve an expensive ticket. And, if you want a lake that you can
dictate who boats and who doesn't, buy the lake.

JG, please feel free to point out where in the law there is a
"presumption of quiet enjoyment" ? If a sailboater finds your inboard
too noisey, then would you stop boating. Consider to your own reasoning
before you answer. I don't care how quiet your boat is, it's stil
noise. You advertised your ignorance well when you said: "I have yet
to run over, mean run into, I mean see/hear one of these."

John

Capt. JG

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As to my "yet to run over..." sentence, you should try not to get your
panties in a wad. If you can't take a joke, you have no business on usenet.

Here's a reference link for you about quiet enjoyment...
http://www.meislik.com/articles/art02.htm

Let me guess, you're from the jet-ski newsgroup... just a guess.

Over the last couple of years, I've seen several get speeding tickets or
warnings in a local bay. There was another incident, since you asked, about
a jet-ski nearly t-boning a yacht... no regard at all for his speed or the
proximity to the boat.

Sure, you're right. Not all jet-ski operators are juvie ignoramouses. That
sure is saying a lot about the sport, but I guess horsepower does go along
with horses' asses. Let me know if you can't figure it out.

If another sailboat found that my inboard too noisy, I would try and
accomodate them as best as possible. If they were there first, I might even
more somewhere else. Would you?

John

We rode our our jetskis away from marked channels in shallow water to
avoid the boat traffic.

If you're going to quote, please quote something in the same context.
That web page you quoted includes the following line regarding noise:

"implied covenant of quiet enjoyment in leases is imposed by statute"

A lake, bay, river, etc is a public place without leases. I'll rephrase
what I said before. "If you want a lake that you can dictate who boats
and who doesn't, buy" OR LEASE "the lake."

I'm curious how you found a way to turn a wake jumping issue into a
Yacht almost being t-boned. How could a jetski behind a yacht,
travelling perpendicular to it, almost T-bone the yacht?

Just like there is a selct bunch of morons on jetskis, the same can be
said of boats, as well as every other recreational activity on the
planet. In all cases, the ones who makes themselves a nuisance are the
ones that get noticed. The ones that behave go un-noticed. Therefore
all that gets noticed is the assholes. If I'm out onthe water all
weekend, I might see hundreds of jetskis, but it's always the same
dozen or so assholes giving the entire sport a bad name.

How many senior citiziens from Michigan drowned when their boat
capsized? I wonder if they think kidding about boating accidents is a
joke. By the way, "joke" is your description of what you previously
said, not mine. If they complained about someone joking about a boating
accident, I wonder if they "have no business on usenet." Again, your
words, not mine.

Lew Hodgett

Subject

Have the perfect tool to solve this problem.

A Model 12 Winchester loaded with 00 buckshot and slugs.

The buckshot takes care of the rider, if there is one, the slug takes
care of the engine. It won't overheat again.

Lew
Capt. JG

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
We rode our our jetskis away from marked channels in shallow water to
avoid the boat traffic.

Well, good for you! I hope you didn't encounter any rocks.

If you're going to quote, please quote something in the same context.
That web page you quoted includes the following line regarding noise:
"implied covenant of quiet enjoyment in leases is imposed by statute"

I think I'll quote what I like, but if you can't follow the logic, I don't
think it would make any difference what I quote.

A lake, bay, river, etc is a public place without leases. I'll rephrase
what I said before. "If you want a lake that you can dictate who boats
and who doesn't, buy" OR LEASE "the lake."

There are many lakes and rivers that do not allow PWCs because of noise and
pollution issues. Clearly, you're the one who needs to get out a bit more.
Well, come to think of it, don't.

I'm curious how you found a way to turn a wake jumping issue into a
Yacht almost being t-boned. How could a jetski behind a yacht,
travelling perpendicular to it, almost T-bone the yacht?

I taint my fault if you don't like the discussion.

Just like there is a selct bunch of morons on jetskis, the same can be
said of boats, as well as every other recreational activity on the
planet. In all cases, the ones who makes themselves a nuisance are the
ones that get noticed. The ones that behave go un-noticed. Therefore
all that gets noticed is the assholes. If I'm out onthe water all
weekend, I might see hundreds of jetskis, but it's always the same
dozen or so assholes giving the entire sport a bad name.

Sure. But the morons on jetskis are a lot more obnoxious than a sailor
****ing off the stern of his boat or running his relatively quiet inboard
for 45 minutes in the evening to charge his batteries. Funny, but I have yet
to see more than a couple of jetskier who "behave." Maybe you should talk to
the bad eggs.

How many senior citiziens from Michigan drowned when their boat
capsized? I wonder if they think kidding about boating accidents is a
joke. By the way, "joke" is your description of what you previously
said, not mine. If they complained about someone joking about a boating
accident, I wonder if they "have no business on usenet." Again, your
words, not mine.

No idea. I don't live in Michigan. Here's a serious site for you.... seems
like you are the obnoxious type, without any humor.

http://www.west.net/~lpm/hobie/archi...i2/humor.shtml

Capt. JG

Yeah, what Peter said...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..

Look, you're posting this to a cruising n/g. Jet skis are noisy and
offensive buzzing insects and the people who drive around on them are
the seaborne equivalent of morons who ride trail bikes on public
reserves. Go away and play with your toy and don't expect any sympathy
from sailors.

PDW