povman

Default battery isolator problem!

Hi, i just wired up a new isolator switch, witch obviously goes to two
batteries, but, the problem that i have is in the off position...I have
wired the positives from both batteries to the battery No1 and battery
No2 positions and the engine positive to the common on the isolator
switch, the acessories go to the positive on batt 1 and the negative
engine lead goes to battery 1 with a link to No2...Now by rights the
acessories should come on when batt 1 is selected (and they do) but
they also come on when batt 2 is selected and when it is in the off
position..! Everything works on any setting on the isolator switch
except the engine, which only works on the No1 battery..As far as i can
see, it's wired the way of the instructions but any help would be
greatly appreciated..Just want to be able to isolated the acessories
for night fishing...cheers.. Povman

--
povman
povman's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m916

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:00:26 +0200, povman
wrote:

Hi, i just wired up a new isolator switch, witch obviously goes to two
batteries, but, the problem that i have is in the off position...I have
wired the positives from both batteries to the battery No1 and battery
No2 positions

I assume that you mean Batt1 connected only to term 1 Batt 2 connected
only to term 2

and the engine positive to the common on the isolator
switch, the acessories go to the positive on batt 1

If you have wired them to the positive on batt1 or term 1 on the 12
both switch the they will be on all of the time! The switch can do
nothing! you have a direct connection.

and the negative
engine lead goes to battery 1 with a link to No2...Now by rights the
acessories should come on when batt 1 is selected (and they do) but
they also come on when batt 2 is selected and when it is in the off
position..! Everything works on any setting on the isolator switch
except the engine, which only works on the No1 battery.

I bet it also works on the 2 position! (assuming the battery is
charged and capable of starting the engine)
.As far as i can
see, it's wired the way of the instructions but any help would be
greatly appreciated..Just want to be able to isolated the acessories
for night fishing...cheers.. Povman

You do not say what your expected requirements are from Batt1 and
Batt2.
Engine start from one and Domestic supply from the other?
You do not specify what you mean by accessories? I assume cabin lights
etc.
Assuming the above then connect accessories to common terminal (with
alternator and engine start circuit.)
Now with isolator off no battery connection to anything
With isolator in 1 position accessories and fed from bat 1
with isolator in 2 position accessories fed from bat 2
Ignition switch assumed to be off therefore no losses that way

None of the above should be taken to suggest that I advocate the use
of 1,2 both switches!!!!

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
povman

G'day again, you were correct, the only problem i had was not connecting
the acessories to the common, tried it and it workes perfectly..Thank
you very much for your input, much appreciated.. Povman