Default is it true what They say about SailNet ?

I don't know whether the posting below from a user I don't know to
the Sailnet Lists (www.sailnet.com and
www.sailnet.com/resources/index.cfm) is correct - but, if it is or
becomes so, it may be of interest to readers/posters here in light of
how informative/helpful many users of those Lists find them to be:

=================

Subject: SailNet RIP [?]

Just a heads up to listers. There are many posts all over the email
lists and various sailing websites indicating that Sailnet is very
close to shutting down. It seems like far more than speculation, as
many posts tell of problems with orders, and the lack of response to
those problems. The answering machine is full, and emails go
unanswered. I had a problem with their online ordering a few days ago,
and finally got a salesman on the phone, after major efforts trying to
contact customer service with no success. When I told him that
Customer Service was ignoring me, he said it was because there was no
one there! They are running a 30% off fire sale on all inventory with
a no returns/no refunds policy. Many reports today indicate that the
remaining stock is pretty well picked through. There are lots of
complaints of wrong merchandise, or no merchandise arriving, and no
response from Sailnet to rectify anything. Not good.

The deposed founders of sailnet, The Boyles, now have a new website at

http://www.sailjazz.com

They have a complete roster of email groups just like Sailnet, that up
until now have been fairly idle. They have a Long Island group, just
like Sailnet. They also have virtually all the same lists as Sailnet.

Larry,

Can you do me a huge favor? I sent my standing rigging to sailnet and
I haven't heard back for over a month and a half. All attempts at
contact have fallen on deaf ears. Any chance you would be willing to
stop by sailnet and get my rigging before the doors shut? I am willing
to pay for your time :-)

Contact me offline at asl...for---sale...AT...yahoo---com (remove dots
and dashes, replace AT) if you would be willing to help.

Thanks,

Scott

Larry

Red Cloud® wrote in
:

I think that at this point there are a LOT of people who would like to
know what you find out!

rusty redcloud

Had no time today....but intend to go down for Scott in the morning....

--
Larry
Peggie Hall

Larry, here's what I've picked up from postings on a web discussion site
on which I'm a forum host...in the order in which they were posted:

" I recieved an email from Sam back in December when the change at
SailNet took place, He wanted to explain why he and Cheryl were leaving
SailNet, yesterday I sent an email to them and here is Cheryl's responce
to me. I'm sure she won't mind the posting.

Ken,

SN was not sold. We had outside investors who exercised their majority
control to replace both Sam and I. Since then we've had no involvement
with SN. If you're a member of the community then I would suggest moving
over to SJ as a precaution. Outward appearances at SN do not look good
and it seems they may be closing up shop."

(The reference to "SJ" is the Boyle's new site, "Sail Jazz:"
http://www.sailjazz.com/ )

That post was followed closely by this reply:

" For those of you who think that Sailnet went sour after Sam and Cheryl
left you're dead wrong. They were never able to get control of the
company from the start. They spent millions (literally...almost 20) of
dollars in private venture capital, cooked the books almost every month
and left the company in the dumps when the main venture investors
finally figured it out and gave them the boot. They both face
embezzelment (sp?) charges as we speak. The new guy they brought into
run it lacks interest and passion and the staff (or what's left of them
after the yearly round of layoffs) think he's a giant ass.
As far as contacting customer service, there isn't one. They were all
laid off and now the one (maybe two) remaining salesmen are in charge of
every interaction with customers from all over the world. It's just too
much to handle.

"I'm pretty positive they are heading towards liquidation with the
exception of Airforce Sails which is a very professionally run outfit
with two VERY competent guys who wish they were NOT part of the Sailnet
name.

"All in all, Sailnet's problems stem directly from the leadership
deficiency which started with Sam and Cheryl...all the employees are
good guys and gals with little or no incentive to wake up and drive to
the office every morning."

And then this:

" Heard they shut the doors on Fri. Laid everyone off and went bankrupt.
Wonder what they're doing with leftover inventory????????"

Before anyone replies to this with any questions OR comments, I'm ONLY
the messenger! And ALL I know is what I've just copy/pasted here from
others whose info may or may not be reliable. So don't ask me any
questions...I don't know any more!

I did go their "store" site, though...EVERYthing seems to be at "fire
sale" price. I checked out a few categories...the first was "heads and
head accessories" of course. The only products shown were a SeaLand
portapotty and SeaLand tank chemicals. And other categories were equally
"thin."

So Larry, your assignment--if you choose to accept it--is to find out
whether Sailnet has gone belly up or is still in business...whether, if
the "store" is closing, whether the site including all the email lists
will continue. The Boyles have obviously put up a site to to either
compete with it or replace it...which will it be?

--
Peggie
----------

Hey Larry,

Thanks a bunch for the offer, I really appreciate it. My wife called
an hour after my post telling me my rigging was shipped back to our
house. When I got home and opened the box there was a letter inside
explaining that Sailnet is closing their doors and they would not be
able to fulfill my rigging order. The rigging guy even suggested
another company.

It is too bad they are closing their doors. Until recently I had good
experiences with Sailnet.

Scott

Wise Man

Peggy,

Gossip is sometimes referred to as halitosis of the mind.
- Wise Man

"Gossip needn't be false to be evil - there's a lot of truth that
shouldn't be passed around." - Frank Clark

"Peggie Hall" gossiped...