Larry W4CSC

Default Today's Sailnet Visit.....

Geoffrey and I were at Sailnet this Friday morning at 9AM to see about
a few pieces parts, like swapping the B&G H1000 Pilot for the B&G
Network Pilot which will talk to the Network instruments on the boat.
The H1000 won't. Ordering a new B&G Wind masthead anemometer/windvane
($480, must be made for Lexus or Rolls) because the one we inherited
is Florida lightning burned. And ordering Raymarine firmware upgrade
kit #E55044 to upgrade the Raymarine RL70CRC Plus radar/chartplotter
display from V1.04 to V4.09 so it will talk to the new Raymarine
Pathfinder Smart Heading Sensor (gyro/compass) so the firmware will
calibrate it and communicate with it.

Wow, what great service! Swapping the improper autopilot boxes was a
no-hassle, no problem exercise, almost too easy. I think I figured
out why the H1000 was ordered, because their wholesaler doesn't stock
the B&G Network series instruments. So, the nice young man simply
called B&G directly and ordered what we needed immediately.

He tracked down the proper person at Raymarine who knew what we needed
to upgrade the radar display and it's on its way post haste. The
replacement Wind instrument head and cable will be here next week IF
THE HURRICANE MISSES CHARLESTON OF COURSE!

I'm very impressed by the whole experience and would recommend if you
need anything give Sailnet a call. I'm not connected with them in any
way, by the way. They couldn't have been more helpful!.....(c;

I've run out of new boxes to install......IS THIS STUFF HERE YET?....

If anyone knows how to steer a hurricane away from my French
girlfriend and her new electronics.....please don't hesitate. She'll
be hauled out to blocks Monday if that monster in the Atlantic keeps
steaming towards Charleston..........Hurricane Hugo was quite enough,
thanks!

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC wrote:

If anyone knows how to steer a hurricane away from my French
girlfriend and her new electronics.....please don't hesitate. She'll
be hauled out to blocks Monday if that monster in the Atlantic keeps
steaming towards Charleston..........Hurricane Hugo was quite enough,

OK, what's best in a hurricane:

1. On the hard with at least all sails and topside gear below.
Preferable with the mast pulled.

2. Being on a hurricane spec. mooring.

3. Being in a slip with four or more strong pilings and six to eight lines.

Enquiring minds want to know. OBTW...ther are a couple of them coming
our way right now so please answer quickly. :-)

Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC

No bets, Joe. People died in Hugo trying to save their boats, same as
in other places. The guy who just installed the marine sanitation in
Lionheart saved 3 yachts up a creek by buying $2000 in big anchors for
them.

Big catamarans went pitchpole. In one yacht they found one woman
dead, strapped to the mast in the cabin when they were in terror.

I read a story of a guy who saved his in Belize behind an island. He
had 3 big plow anchors fed with chain. He put them out at 120 degrees
from each other and fed the chains through the middle of a pile of
concrete blocks to hold the chains on the bottom so the plows would
pull sideways to hold them in place. His boat swung on the hook on
this array and was saved.

Many boats in Charleston ended up way up in the marsh, hopelessly
MILES from water from the 25-35' storm surge. Ashley Marina, where we
dock Lionheart, had about 8' of piling above the dock at high tide
last night.....far short of what would be necessary to keep the entire
marina from simply floating off the top of its inadequate concrete
pilings and going off towards the bridge. Lockwood Drive was full of
stranded boats after Hugo from these marinas.

We're betting on being on the hard, tied down to keep her upright
hoping it will not be too damaged to be saved.

Pray for all the boaters in Isabel's path.......

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:20:20 -0400, Joe Wood
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:

If anyone knows how to steer a hurricane away from my French
girlfriend and her new electronics.....please don't hesitate. She'll
be hauled out to blocks Monday if that monster in the Atlantic keeps
steaming towards Charleston..........Hurricane Hugo was quite enough,

OK, what's best in a hurricane:

1. On the hard with at least all sails and topside gear below.
Preferable with the mast pulled.

2. Being on a hurricane spec. mooring.

3. Being in a slip with four or more strong pilings and six to eight lines.

Enquiring minds want to know. OBTW...ther are a couple of them coming
our way right now so please answer quickly. :-)

Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?
Keith

On the hard, without a doubt. All the insurance company statistics show
that. Bad news... if a hurricane is coming most shipyards want you out of
there, and those that will put you on the hard have 5000 boats lining up.

--

Keith
__
"Joe Wood" wrote in message

Larry W4CSC wrote:

If anyone knows how to steer a hurricane away from my French
girlfriend and her new electronics.....please don't hesitate. She'll
be hauled out to blocks Monday if that monster in the Atlantic keeps
steaming towards Charleston..........Hurricane Hugo was quite enough,

OK, what's best in a hurricane:

1. On the hard with at least all sails and topside gear below.
Preferable with the mast pulled.

2. Being on a hurricane spec. mooring.

3. Being in a slip with four or more strong pilings and six to eight

lines.

Enquiring minds want to know. OBTW...ther are a couple of them coming
our way right now so please answer quickly. :-)

Joe Wood

Larry W4CSC

The predictions have changed, this morning....They THINK it's going to
turn away from us like Floyd did. Let's all hope it misses NC, too.
They've had their share quite enough.

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 06:21:54 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Larry W4CSC wrote:
No bets, Joe. People died in Hugo trying to save their boats, same as
in other places. The guy who just installed the marine sanitation in
Lionheart saved 3 yachts up a creek by buying $2000 in big anchors for
them.

Having sweated out Hugo at a distance worrying about a couple of my
customers' computer systems and seeing the aftermath a week later I can
only hope that this one changes it's mind and steers NE. OTOH, there is
a bright side.

Nothing stimulates anchor sales like a hurricane threat. I had a guy
drive over from Bufort yesterday to pick up an S140. I was up until 2AM
making up rope/chain splices for a couple more driving up from Brunswick
and one from Jacksonville today.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry W4CSC

3600 planes with transponders are burning 8-10 million
gallons of kerosene per hour over the USA. R-12 car air
conditioners are responsible for the ozone hole, right?

Larry W4CSC

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:28:47 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:

On the hard, without a doubt. All the insurance company statistics show
that. Bad news... if a hurricane is coming most shipyards want you out of
there, and those that will put you on the hard have 5000 boats lining up.

Hence the hauling reservation for Monday morning......already
confirmed.