Default Another single hand/sailboat choice question

A number of months ago I began my search for a sailboat. I am an upper
Chesapeake sailor who, a few years down the road, will do some coastal
cruising. I am looking for a boat that I can sail solo (I want to sail
solo - if I wanted to hook-up with crew, I would have taken up golf),
but that can also confortably accomodate three adults for a weekend
cruise.But the principal criteria is its ease/security in solo sailing.
I am a retiring athlete and I am sick of racing, so I have no interest
in Type-A sailing.I prefer a stable boat; i.e., one that can be out
there when most of the other boats have left (I still like adventure).
On the other hand, I do not want a boat that will DNF (did not finish)
in light air.I started with many boats on my list, admittedly 35 plus
ft. After taking ASA 101-104 and gaining more experience, I have come
to realize that smaller is better. I have read every book available on
solo sailing and I am aware of the rigging, equipment, etc. recommended
for single handing. I want to stay under 50k. I prefer, but am not
married to, 'classic plastic',and I prefer solid hull boats. Also note;
I plan to use a mooring so as to avoid the difficulties of leaving and
returning to a slip. My short list:
-I really like the Bristol 'decimal' line (29.9, 31.1, 35.5),
though I am aware that they are relatively slow and bad at backing
under motor.
-The Sabre 30-34 are on my list
-The Hunter Cherubini's 30,33, even 37 seem to be a real value,
though the 'owner's forums' are full of wet deck/rudder-problem
stories.
I have been on the 'owner's forums' for all of these boats and have
solicited opinions. Any neutral/objective suggestions. My strategy at
this point is to go with the 'best condition' boat that I can find
under 50k.I, of course, will get it surveyed. Brian, Havre de Grace

JG

Have you considered a small multihull? Fast, good in light air, stable, big
enough for guests, small enough to single-hand. For example, one of the
F-boats... F-24.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 25 Apr 2005 12:48:32 -0700, wrote:

I plan to use a mooring so as to avoid the difficulties of leaving and
returning to a slip. My short list:
-I really like the Bristol 'decimal' line (29.9, 31.1, 35.5),
though I am aware that they are relatively slow and bad at backing
under motor.
-The Sabre 30-34 are on my list
-The Hunter Cherubini's 30,33, even 37 seem to be a real value,
though the 'owner's forums' are full of wet deck/rudder-problem
stories.
I have been on the 'owner's forums' for all of these boats and have
solicited opinions. Any neutral/objective suggestions. My strategy at
this point is to go with the 'best condition' boat that I can find
under 50k.I, of course, will get it surveyed. Brian, Havre de Grace

I have found the Bristol 35.5 to be quite unpleasant for the reasons
you mention. The Sabre 34 OTOH we found a docile and relaxing boat
that was pleasont and easy to sail. The sabre is also very easy to
dock under power. I wouldn't hesitate to take one into a slip under
power alone in most conditions.

Never tried the Hunter.

One gent that used to post here until he was about 80 singlehanded a
J30 across the Atlantic several times. The first time he did it was in
1979, when he encountered the famous Fastnet storm. His survival is
mentioned in Rousmaniere's book. We also encountered an elderly man
singlehanding a J30 in Maine when we were in the Sabre.

From double-handed experience the J30 is more entertaining to sail and
much faster than the boats you mentioned.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab
Frank

I offer a recommendation of my personal favorite marque, Freedom boats
by Garry Hoyt and TPI. Try a Freedom 30.

Frank

Peter Bennett

On 25 Apr 2005 12:48:32 -0700, wrote:

A number of months ago I began my search for a sailboat. I am an upper
Chesapeake sailor who, a few years down the road, will do some coastal
cruising. I am looking for a boat that I can sail solo (I want to sail
solo - if I wanted to hook-up with crew, I would have taken up golf),
but that can also confortably accomodate three adults for a weekend
cruise.But the principal criteria is its ease/security in solo sailing.

I single-handed a Yamaha 30 for many years - it is a fairly light
racer-cruiser (or perhaps cruiser-racer) - it performed well, and I
found it easy to handle. I don't think I'd want to go too much over
30 ft for single-handing coastal cruising (ocean cruising may be
another matter). For coastal cruising, you will frequently be raising
and lowering sails, anchoring, picking up a mooring, or docking at a
marina - all things that are harder the larger the boat.

I found the Yamaha very easy to handle, both under way and around
marinas (I had less trouble getting it into a marina slip than I do
with my present 28 ft trawler, and much, much less trouble than with a
26 ft twin stern drive planing boat I had between the Yamaha and the
trawler)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

[...]

As a somewhat experienced "singlehander" [Islander 29'] I would advise
you that you can singlehand almost any boat. But there's a couple of
things that make it much simpler & safer. First of all try to stay
under about 32' feet,,,, any bigger than that and the sail area gets
too big to handle comfortably. And, if not already equipped, get an
anchor windlass, either manual or electric [manual's preferred, it
always works]. Dragging 100' or more of chain on board is difficult,
especially if it's blowing. And finally, outfit your boat with
wind-vane self steering. Nothing worse than having to be at the helm
continuously, especially on a passage longer than a few hours. Allows
you to get a little sleep, fix a meal, and relax a bit.

Incidentally, life's too short to own a wooden boat, despite their
charm.

Cheers,
T. Sanders
S/V Cimba
Single Handed Sailing Association
Marina Del Rey
Southern California

JG

Peter, we have a Y30 in our fleet. I find it to be a great boat... the
engine in the front was a bit strange at first, but it seems to do quite
well in heavy chop.. much less hobby horsing that you typically get. How
long did you have it? Did you have any significant problems? I think the
only thing I don't like about it is that it has a full rig, and that means
no big jibs (we sail in SF bay). Our isn't set up for single-handing also.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Peter Bennett" wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

I have sailed a Sabre 34 on several occasions very short handed,
although not solo. It's a relatively quick boat that is easy to
balance, tacks well and is well built. It's probably my favorite boat
I've ever sailed.

If I were in your boat shoes, however, I'd be thinking of something
with a self-tacking, or no, jib. The Sabre could be made self-tacking
but would suffer in light winds. A J32 is more like it but out of your
price range.

Had you considered a Nonsuch? No jib, easy rig to handle, decent
performance, very roomy for the length, nice workmanship.

David