Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 25 Apr 2005 12:48:32 -0700, wrote:

I plan to use a mooring so as to avoid the difficulties of leaving and
returning to a slip. My short list:
-I really like the Bristol 'decimal' line (29.9, 31.1, 35.5),
though I am aware that they are relatively slow and bad at backing
under motor.
-The Sabre 30-34 are on my list
-The Hunter Cherubini's 30,33, even 37 seem to be a real value,
though the 'owner's forums' are full of wet deck/rudder-problem
stories.
I have been on the 'owner's forums' for all of these boats and have
solicited opinions. Any neutral/objective suggestions. My strategy at
this point is to go with the 'best condition' boat that I can find
under 50k.I, of course, will get it surveyed. Brian, Havre de Grace

I have found the Bristol 35.5 to be quite unpleasant for the reasons
you mention. The Sabre 34 OTOH we found a docile and relaxing boat
that was pleasont and easy to sail. The sabre is also very easy to
dock under power. I wouldn't hesitate to take one into a slip under
power alone in most conditions.

Never tried the Hunter.

One gent that used to post here until he was about 80 singlehanded a
J30 across the Atlantic several times. The first time he did it was in
1979, when he encountered the famous Fastnet storm. His survival is
mentioned in Rousmaniere's book. We also encountered an elderly man
singlehanding a J30 in Maine when we were in the Sabre.

From double-handed experience the J30 is more entertaining to sail and
much faster than the boats you mentioned.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab