Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 25 Apr 2005 12:48:32 -0700, wrote:

I plan to use a mooring so as to avoid the difficulties of leaving and
returning to a slip. My short list:
-I really like the Bristol 'decimal' line (29.9, 31.1, 35.5),
though I am aware that they are relatively slow and bad at backing
under motor.
-The Sabre 30-34 are on my list
-The Hunter Cherubini's 30,33, even 37 seem to be a real value,
though the 'owner's forums' are full of wet deck/rudder-problem
stories.
I have been on the 'owner's forums' for all of these boats and have
solicited opinions. Any neutral/objective suggestions. My strategy at
this point is to go with the 'best condition' boat that I can find
under 50k.I, of course, will get it surveyed. Brian, Havre de Grace

I have found the Bristol 35.5 to be quite unpleasant for the reasons
you mention. The Sabre 34 OTOH we found a docile and relaxing boat
that was pleasont and easy to sail. The sabre is also very easy to
dock under power. I wouldn't hesitate to take one into a slip under
power alone in most conditions.

Never tried the Hunter.

One gent that used to post here until he was about 80 singlehanded a
J30 across the Atlantic several times. The first time he did it was in
1979, when he encountered the famous Fastnet storm. His survival is
mentioned in Rousmaniere's book. We also encountered an elderly man
singlehanding a J30 in Maine when we were in the Sabre.

From double-handed experience the J30 is more entertaining to sail and
much faster than the boats you mentioned.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab
rhys

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:23:58 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

From double-handed experience the J30 is more entertaining to sail and
much faster than the boats you mentioned.

If you've raced you would probably love "cruising" a J30 or most Js
for that matter. C&C 30s and 33s also make that "glorified daysailer"
mark in that they are safe and stable, but still can be actively
sailed fast.

If your accomodations don't need to exceed an Origo, a Koolatron and a
few sleeping bags, you have a lot of choice also in the 1/4 tonner
fleet, although headroom's an issue.

Solo and getting on a bit, I would say 33 feet is a good practical
limit, because you have to move fast or be quite skilled indeed to
dock alone with something much bigger in most fast cruisers.

A Westsail 32 or a Contessa, on the other hand, will just hit the dock
and stop. G

R.

I have been searching under the assumption that a 30-32' J-Boat would
be a bear to single-hand, except for highly skilled/experienced
sailors, because it is built (light with substantial sail area)
principally for crewed races. Am I wrong? Thanks

Terry Spragg

rhys wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:23:58 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

From double-handed experience the J30 is more entertaining to sail and

much faster than the boats you mentioned.

If you've raced you would probably love "cruising" a J30 or most Js
for that matter. C&C 30s and 33s also make that "glorified daysailer"
mark in that they are safe and stable, but still can be actively
sailed fast.

If your accomodations don't need to exceed an Origo, a Koolatron and a
few sleeping bags, you have a lot of choice also in the 1/4 tonner
fleet, although headroom's an issue.

Solo and getting on a bit, I would say 33 feet is a good practical
limit, because you have to move fast or be quite skilled indeed to
dock alone with something much bigger in most fast cruisers.

A Westsail 32 or a Contessa, on the other hand, will just hit the dock
and stop. G

R.

The best way to sail "fast" is to leave the phone at home, rip out
the knotmeter, and pull all the ropes a little too tight. Fast is a
relative term. Some sail to be competetive, and some sail to get
away from it all. Just ask yourself if the seagulls worry about
going fast enough.

If the numbers on an electronic instrument are more important to you
than sailing "well", sell the boat and buy a top fuel dragster.

Otherwise, it just becomes a contest to see who's craziest and will
spend the most money for the sake of a .1 on the knotmeter, or
another scratch on some trophy.

At least, that's not why I sail. You must please youreslf.

Terry K

rhys

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:26:14 -0300, Terry Spragg
wrote:

The best way to sail "fast" is to leave the phone at home, rip out
the knotmeter, and pull all the ropes a little too tight. Fast is a
relative term. Some sail to be competetive, and some sail to get
away from it all. Just ask yourself if the seagulls worry about
going fast enough.

OK, please be aware that I understand that sailing is the worst form
of transport...excepting all the others. "Fast" in this context means
getting the best from the boat, not letting the sails flog,
maintaining a tuned rig, cleaning the bottom and neither stalling the
helm nor rounding up frequently. And completing tacks effectively.

That's "fast" by virtue of no being slow. I can sail an Alberg 30
"fast" by that measure, although it's not at this stage in GRP boat
history, a particularly fast boat.

At least, that's not why I sail. You must please youreslf.

I do. Perhaps I should have used the term "sailing to the potential of
my boat and my crew".

R.
Matt O'Toole

rhys wrote:

A Westsail 32 or a Contessa, on the other hand, will just hit the dock
and stop. G

A Westsail will keep going, and take the dock with it!

Matt O.