A number of months ago I began my search for a sailboat. I am an

upper
Chesapeake sailor who, a few years down the road, will do some

coastal
cruising. I am looking for a boat that I can sail solo (I want to

sail
solo - if I wanted to hook-up with crew, I would have taken up golf),
but that can also confortably accomodate three adults for a weekend
cruise.But the principal criteria is its ease/security in solo

sailing.
I am a retiring athlete and I am sick of racing, so I have no

interest
in Type-A sailing.I prefer a stable boat; i.e., one that can be out
there when most of the other boats have left (I still like

adventure).
On the other hand, I do not want a boat that will DNF (did not

finish)
in light air.I started with many boats on my list, admittedly 35 plus
ft. After taking ASA 101-104 and gaining more experience, I have come
to realize that smaller is better. I have read every book available

on
solo sailing and I am aware of the rigging, equipment, etc.

recommended
for single handing. I want to stay under 50k. I prefer, but am not
married to, 'classic plastic',and I prefer solid hull boats. Also

note;
I plan to use a mooring so as to avoid the difficulties of leaving

and
returning to a slip. My short list:
-I really like the Bristol 'decimal' line (29.9, 31.1, 35.5),
though I am aware that they are relatively slow and bad at backing
under motor.
-The Sabre 30-34 are on my list
-The Hunter Cherubini's 30,33, even 37 seem to be a real value,
though the 'owner's forums' are full of wet deck/rudder-problem
stories.
I have been on the 'owner's forums' for all of these boats and have
solicited opinions. Any neutral/objective suggestions. My strategy at
this point is to go with the 'best condition' boat that I can find
under 50k.I, of course, will get it surveyed. Brian, Havre de Grace

As a somewhat experienced "singlehander" [Islander 29'] I would advise
you that you can singlehand almost any boat. But there's a couple of
things that make it much simpler & safer. First of all try to stay
under about 32' feet,,,, any bigger than that and the sail area gets
too big to handle comfortably. And, if not already equipped, get an
anchor windlass, either manual or electric [manual's preferred, it
always works]. Dragging 100' or more of chain on board is difficult,
especially if it's blowing. And finally, outfit your boat with
wind-vane self steering. Nothing worse than having to be at the helm
continuously, especially on a passage longer than a few hours. Allows
you to get a little sleep, fix a meal, and relax a bit.

Incidentally, life's too short to own a wooden boat, despite their
charm.

Cheers,
T. Sanders
S/V Cimba