I have sailed a Sabre 34 on several occasions very short handed,
although not solo. It's a relatively quick boat that is easy to
balance, tacks well and is well built. It's probably my favorite boat
I've ever sailed.

If I were in your boat shoes, however, I'd be thinking of something
with a self-tacking, or no, jib. The Sabre could be made self-tacking
but would suffer in light winds. A J32 is more like it but out of your
price range.

Had you considered a Nonsuch? No jib, easy rig to handle, decent
performance, very roomy for the length, nice workmanship.

David