Default Just once....

Yes, just once I'd like to see a news article or a video or two
about a sailor who didn't look and act like some mentally
deficient vagrant and who didn't sail some equally decrepit-
looking boat that sailors and even lubbers look at and sneer
at.

Why is it that sailors are always portrayed as losers and
outcasts? Why is it that cruising is reported on in such a
way that it generally reflects badly upon those of us who
do things in a seamanlike manner and have vessels that
are well-found and Bristol Fashion?

Instead, what one sees is a parade of hapless individuals,
one after another, about which the general public concludes
they're sailing because they're some kind of nut job and bum
who can't possible hold down a job so he's off to sea in the
most irresponsible of manners, looking, for all the world,
like a floating railroad vagrant.

And, why is it that so-called sailors swoon over such dregs?
What happened to their mental picture of sailors who do it
competently, safely, seamanlike and professionally? Why
is it they identify with and promote eccentric ne'er-do-wells
which, if seen ashore, would be holding out a tin cup?

Just why do so-called sailors act so proud to say they have
met and talked to such beggar-like individuals. Is their own
self-esteem so low that they actually look up to and admire
floating vagrants aboard bum boats?

Think about it, Bruce.

--
Sir Gregory

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:07:40 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

[...]

You simply reinforce what everyone already knows - that you really
know nothing about cruising.

Ever done a cruise? Say a 3,000 mile open ocean trip from the
Galapagos to Nuku Hiva? Do you somehow believe that one can spend
several years sailing across oceans on a very small budget and have
the boat and crew look as clean and neat as it did in the dealer's
showroom?
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

åke wrote:

[...]

Yes, I do. It's a matter of pride and accomplishment. One is easily
able to do routine upkeep along the way. Sailing a bum boat is
inexcusable, IMO, because it demonstrates a slovenly outlook
on cruising and on sailing as a way of life. Does stop brushing
one's teeth and bathing when one is cruising? I think not. So
why should one sail a decrepit looking bum boat? Would you
want people thinking, as you sailed into port, "Geez, there goes
the neighborhood"?

--
Sir Gregory

--
Sir Gregory

On 9/22/2013 1:07 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
Yes, just once I'd like to see a news article or a video or two
about a sailor who didn't look and act like some mentally
deficient vagrant and who didn't sail some equally decrepit-
looking boat that sailors and even lubbers look at and sneer
at.

You seem to have a thing about this guy's beard. If you look at the
video, you can see that it's carefully trimmed and not just an
indication that he's lost his desire to be well groomed.

I grew beards while voyaging too and probably for the same reason this
guy did - warmth. A beard like his and mine not only keep the face
warmer, but most importantly, the neck too.

As to his boat, where would you suggest he stow the fenders? Inside?
Then where would he go?

"slide" wrote in message
On 9/22/2013 1:07 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
Yes, just once I'd like to see a news article or a video or two
about a sailor who didn't look and act like some mentally
deficient vagrant and who didn't sail some equally decrepit-
looking boat that sailors and even lubbers look at and sneer
at.

You seem to have a thing about this guy's beard. If you look at the video,
you can see that it's carefully trimmed and not just an indication that he's
lost his desire to be well groomed.

I grew beards while voyaging too and probably for the same reason this guy
did - warmth. A beard like his and mine not only keep the face warmer, but
most importantly, the neck too.

As to his boat, where would you suggest he stow the fenders? Inside? Then
where would he go?

Fenders? Real sailors anchor out and row a dinghy to shore.

Docks are hazardous to a vessel's topsides and that's why
fenders are used. Now, I ask you, does it make sense to put
your vessel in harm's way knowingly? I say knowingly because
the carrying and use of fenders proves an awareness of the
danger of dock or pier damage.

As for the beard, it makes the guy look like a bum or a Taliban.
If one wants warmth about the face and neck then try using a
scarf. Excessive facial hair is simply uncouth.

--
Sir Gregory

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:18:26 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

.. .
åke wrote:

[...]

As I and you other readers have said, "You know nothing of what you
speak".
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:12:57 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"slide" wrote in message
[...]

As I and a myriad of other have said, "you do not know what you are
talking about".

I guess that it will be news to you that you are not allowed to anchor
out in many places, particularly in the Med (that is Mediterranean).
In many other places anchoring out and taking a dinghy ashore will
result in your boat being stripped by the time you get back.

On 9/23/2013 12:12 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
"slide" wrote in message

Fenders? Real sailors anchor out and row a dinghy to shore.

Docks are hazardous to a vessel's topsides and that's why
fenders are used. Now, I ask you, does it make sense to put
your vessel in harm's way knowingly? I say knowingly because
the carrying and use of fenders proves an awareness of the
danger of dock or pier damage.

As for the beard, it makes the guy look like a bum or a Taliban.
If one wants warmth about the face and neck then try using a
scarf. Excessive facial hair is simply uncouth.

I've had more than one situation where the anchorage was full and I
could either wish my supplies on board or tie up at a dock. Also it's a
bit dicey to fuel from an anchorage. Finally, in this fellow's case, his
boat is roughly dingy sized so where would he stow one - in his pocket?

Perhaps I looked like Taliban to you when I was sailing out of New
England but I will accept that to keep my neck warm.

åke wrote:

"slide" wrote in message
[...]

So why would anybody with more than half a brain even sail
to such pathetic places when there is a whole world of safe
and attractive places to sail? It kinda goes to show that you
just aren't too bright in that you'd unnecessarily put your boat
and belongings in jeopardy.

You appear to be one of those people who would wander
around at night in an inner city ghetto wearing lots of gold
chains and not expect to be mugged and robbed.

--
Sir Gregory

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

"slide" wrote in
message ...
"slide" wrote in message

Fenders? Real sailors anchor out and row a dinghy to shore.

Docks are hazardous to a vessel's topsides and that's why
fenders are used. Now, I ask you, does it make sense to put
your vessel in harm's way knowingly? I say knowingly because
the carrying and use of fenders proves an awareness of the
danger of dock or pier damage.

As for the beard, it makes the guy look like a bum or a Taliban.
If one wants warmth about the face and neck then try using a
scarf. Excessive facial hair is simply uncouth.

I've had more than one situation where the anchorage was full and I could
either wish my supplies on board or tie up at a dock. Also it's a bit dicey
to fuel from an anchorage. Finally, in this fellow's case, his boat is
roughly dingy sized so where would he stow one - in his pocket?

Fuel a sailboat? One should be able to sail around the world with
enough fuel on board provided one actually sails and not motors.
And why would one even wish to visit a *full* anchorage when
surely there are plenty of less than full anchorages to visit? I
don't know about you but if I wanted a big crowds I'd sell the
boat and invest in football tickets.

There are, in reality, very few places one cannot go under sail in
a small cruising sailboat. So, I don't buy the fuel argument. If I
recall, Joshua Slocum sailed around the world and visited many
ports and never had any need for motor fuel.

Personally, I spent almost a year sailing the Bahamas several
years ago. I departed the USA with 10 gallons of gasoline in jerry
cans and when I returned I sill had six gallons left. I always use
Sta-Bil®

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/

because I know it will take almost forever for me to use
even six gallons of gasoline.

As for the small size of that Taliban's boat, it doesn't preclude
his shipping and storing, deflated, a small inflatable to use as
a yacht tender. But, his boat is slovenly looking and I'm sure
he's the type who is not the least bit concerned with his
topsides being all scarred up by their interacting with docks
and piers. I couldn't live like that, myself. My Imron® topsides
paint is 30 years old now and look at it:

http://captainneal.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-22

It wouldn't look that way if I frequented docks and piers.

Perhaps I looked like Taliban to you when I was sailing out of New England
but I will accept that to keep my neck warm.

That's all well and good but shave off the beard the day
before you arrive in port after a long passage. If nothing
else, the officials will treat you better if you don't look like
some kind of a fugitive from justice.

--
Sir Gregory