posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats
Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· is offline

Default Just once....

"slide" wrote in
message ...
On 9/23/2013 12:12 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
"slide" wrote in message

Fenders? Real sailors anchor out and row a dinghy to shore.

Docks are hazardous to a vessel's topsides and that's why
fenders are used. Now, I ask you, does it make sense to put
your vessel in harm's way knowingly? I say knowingly because
the carrying and use of fenders proves an awareness of the
danger of dock or pier damage.

As for the beard, it makes the guy look like a bum or a Taliban.
If one wants warmth about the face and neck then try using a
scarf. Excessive facial hair is simply uncouth.

I've had more than one situation where the anchorage was full and I could
either wish my supplies on board or tie up at a dock. Also it's a bit dicey
to fuel from an anchorage. Finally, in this fellow's case, his boat is
roughly dingy sized so where would he stow one - in his pocket?

Fuel a sailboat? One should be able to sail around the world with
enough fuel on board provided one actually sails and not motors.
And why would one even wish to visit a *full* anchorage when
surely there are plenty of less than full anchorages to visit? I
don't know about you but if I wanted a big crowds I'd sell the
boat and invest in football tickets.

There are, in reality, very few places one cannot go under sail in
a small cruising sailboat. So, I don't buy the fuel argument. If I
recall, Joshua Slocum sailed around the world and visited many
ports and never had any need for motor fuel.

Personally, I spent almost a year sailing the Bahamas several
years ago. I departed the USA with 10 gallons of gasoline in jerry
cans and when I returned I sill had six gallons left. I always use
Sta-Bil®

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/

because I know it will take almost forever for me to use
even six gallons of gasoline.

As for the small size of that Taliban's boat, it doesn't preclude
his shipping and storing, deflated, a small inflatable to use as
a yacht tender. But, his boat is slovenly looking and I'm sure
he's the type who is not the least bit concerned with his
topsides being all scarred up by their interacting with docks
and piers. I couldn't live like that, myself. My Imron® topsides
paint is 30 years old now and look at it:

http://captainneal.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-22

It wouldn't look that way if I frequented docks and piers.

Perhaps I looked like Taliban to you when I was sailing out of New England
but I will accept that to keep my neck warm.

That's all well and good but shave off the beard the day
before you arrive in port after a long passage. If nothing
else, the officials will treat you better if you don't look like
some kind of a fugitive from justice.

--
Sir Gregory