Bruce in bangkok Bruce in bangkok is offline

Default Just once....

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:18:26 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

"Bruce in bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:07:40 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

Yes, just once I'd like to see a news article or a video or two
about a sailor who didn't look and act like some mentally
deficient vagrant and who didn't sail some equally decrepit-
looking boat that sailors and even lubbers look at and sneer
at.

Why is it that sailors are always portrayed as losers and
outcasts? Why is it that cruising is reported on in such a
way that it generally reflects badly upon those of us who
do things in a seamanlike manner and have vessels that
are well-found and Bristol Fashion?

Instead, what one sees is a parade of hapless individuals,
one after another, about which the general public concludes
they're sailing because they're some kind of nut job and bum
who can't possible hold down a job so he's off to sea in the
most irresponsible of manners, looking, for all the world,
like a floating railroad vagrant.

And, why is it that so-called sailors swoon over such dregs?
What happened to their mental picture of sailors who do it
competently, safely, seamanlike and professionally? Why
is it they identify with and promote eccentric ne'er-do-wells
which, if seen ashore, would be holding out a tin cup?

Just why do so-called sailors act so proud to say they have
met and talked to such beggar-like individuals. Is their own
self-esteem so low that they actually look up to and admire
floating vagrants aboard bum boats?

Think about it, Bruce.

You simply reinforce what everyone already knows - that you really
know nothing about cruising.

Ever done a cruise? Say a 3,000 mile open ocean trip from the
Galapagos to Nuku Hiva? Do you somehow believe that one can spend
several years sailing across oceans on a very small budget and have
the boat and crew look as clean and neat as it did in the dealer's
showroom?

Yes, I do. It's a matter of pride and accomplishment. One is easily
able to do routine upkeep along the way. Sailing a bum boat is
inexcusable, IMO, because it demonstrates a slovenly outlook
on cruising and on sailing as a way of life. Does stop brushing
one's teeth and bathing when one is cruising? I think not. So
why should one sail a decrepit looking bum boat? Would you
want people thinking, as you sailed into port, "Geez, there goes
the neighborhood"?

--
Sir Gregory

As I and you other readers have said, "You know nothing of what you
speak".
--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok