Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· is offline

Default Just once....

"slide" wrote in message
On 9/22/2013 1:07 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq· wrote:
Yes, just once I'd like to see a news article or a video or two
about a sailor who didn't look and act like some mentally
deficient vagrant and who didn't sail some equally decrepit-
looking boat that sailors and even lubbers look at and sneer
at.

You seem to have a thing about this guy's beard. If you look at the video,
you can see that it's carefully trimmed and not just an indication that he's
lost his desire to be well groomed.

I grew beards while voyaging too and probably for the same reason this guy
did - warmth. A beard like his and mine not only keep the face warmer, but
most importantly, the neck too.

As to his boat, where would you suggest he stow the fenders? Inside? Then
where would he go?

Fenders? Real sailors anchor out and row a dinghy to shore.

Docks are hazardous to a vessel's topsides and that's why
fenders are used. Now, I ask you, does it make sense to put
your vessel in harm's way knowingly? I say knowingly because
the carrying and use of fenders proves an awareness of the
danger of dock or pier damage.

As for the beard, it makes the guy look like a bum or a Taliban.
If one wants warmth about the face and neck then try using a
scarf. Excessive facial hair is simply uncouth.

--
Sir Gregory