Default Adding bow roller and other thoughts

Ok,, there you are .. standing there, at a marina. A 30' cruising sailboat
is
right in front of you. She is in good shape, but very plain.

She does not have roller furling, bow roller with appropriate anchor,
... just a whole bunch of stuff.

But:: she is solid, clean, she has been surveyed recently and
there is no wet deck or hull .. the engine runs good ..

You say "how much" and the seller says "I want her gone" and
you say xxx and he says "she is yours"..

Remember;; this isn't happening just yet,, could happen in two weeks
though..

--

What would you attend to first.

She does not need paint or cosmetic fixings..

Bow roller? Then furling?
And if you do this? What do you do with the fore sail? Jib/genoa.. does
the sail
need all kinds of fixing?

Any other ideas?

What about rigging? Would you change if the survey said it was ok? Would
you add
anything special?

What about bimini, or dodger?

Just wondering .. is all ..

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message
[...]

I would make a few day sails or do a weekend to check it all out and if
everything is as good as it seems, then load up with groceries and head for
somewhere warm.

Leanne

Leanne wrote:
[...]

We had a cold front blow in this afternoon - temps down in the high 20's.

I'll volunteer to go with you to the someplace warm place...

Richard

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 03:13:55 GMT, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:

Ok,, there you are .. standing there, at a marina. A 30' cruising sailboat
is
right in front of you. She is in good shape, but very plain.

She does not have roller furling, bow roller with appropriate anchor,
.. just a whole bunch of stuff.

But:: she is solid, clean, she has been surveyed recently and
there is no wet deck or hull .. the engine runs good ..

You say "how much" and the seller says "I want her gone" and
you say xxx and he says "she is yours"..

Remember;; this isn't happening just yet,, could happen in two weeks
though..

I would not do anything expensive until I had sailed the boat a bit -
enough to determine that it suited my intended use.

A bow roller does make retrieving the anchor easier, but should not be
essential on a 30 ft boat.

If the sails are questionable, I would take them to a sailmaker for
evaluation, rather than immediately ordering new sails.

Ensure that the boat meets legal requirements - here in Canada, we
need a PFD or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board,
and anchor and 50 ft of rode, distress flares, and some other items -
I expect the USCG has similar requirements.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

On Dec 9, 7:13*pm, "Janet O'Leary" wrote:
[...]

bow roller.
the furling roller is a conveniance.
get the basics done then worry about the add on's.
lines, rigging, sails, engine, then the rest of the stuff

Two meter troll wrote:

[...]

If there is a good samson post and a decent fairlead for the chain, a
bow roller on a sub 30' yacht is a luxury that wont make recovering the
anchor significantly easier without a windlass.

She wouldn't be in good shape cosmetically if she'd been neglected
unless tarted up for a quick sale and the recent survey should exclude
that (unless the surveyor was the owner's brother in law) so nothing
else needs doing unless mentioned on the survey. If the OP posts the
list of defects on the survey, we'll tell them to walk or run and in
which direction :-)

The OP is asking here so obviously doesn't have enough experiance to
plan modifications for improved performance and comfort while the boat's
still on the hard so I'd say sort out survey issues, bring equipment and
safety gear up to minimum legal standards, slap on some antifouling,
splash her and sail her. By the end of next season the OP should know
what works well and what needs upgrading or if the boat is going to be
put back on the market priced for a quick sale.

wrote:

What would you attend to first.

She does not need paint or cosmetic fixings..

Bow roller? Then furling?

A 30 footer can get by without a bow roller although it would be nice
to have. They are relatively inexpensive in any case.

I would definitely get a good quality roller furler like a Harken and
get it professionally installed. Don't listen to the Ludites among
us.

And if you do this? What do you do with the fore sail? Jib/genoa.. does
the sail
need all kinds of fixing?

If you have a large (150+ %) genoa in good condition it can be adapted
to the roller furler by a sailmaker, otherwise get a new one, likewise
with the working jib (approx 100% of the foretriangle). A cruising
spinnaker would also be high up on my list.

Any other ideas?

Get a professional opinion on the condition of the mainsail, replace
if advisable, add reef points and a slab reefing system if not
currently installed.

What about rigging? Would you change if the survey said it was ok?

No.

Wouldyou add
anything special?

You need a good quality VHF radio with mast top antenna, a depth
sounder and a GPS/chart plotter. Carry a battery operated GPS for
backup and in the dinghy. You also need a good anchor, as heavy as
you can manage, of a type suitable for your local conditions, with at
least 15 ft of chain. An autopilot of some sort (tiller pilot/wheel
pilot) is *extremely* useful for short handed sailing. A handheld
VHF can be useful in some situations and can serve as a backup, also a
small power inverter for recharging gadgets and running a laptop.

For anything more than weekending you will want to consider a
refrigeration system, extra batteries and a heavy duty
alternator/charging system. Some sort of hot water shower system is
very desirable. For extended cruising you need solar panels and a
wind generator. For going offshore you need a liferaft, safety
harnesses, EPIRB, SSB radio, etc.

What about bimini, or dodger?

A dodger is nice if you get a lot of rain or sail in a cool climate.
In a hot, sunny climate you will also want a bimini.

"Leanne" wrote in message
[...]

The boat is somewhere warm.. but I like your syle..

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message
snip

You say "how much" and the seller says "I want her gone" and
you say xxx and he says "she is yours"..

Remember;; this isn't happening just yet,, could happen in two weeks
though..

snip

This reply is in the "other thoughts" category. The scenario above puts you,
the buyer, at a disadvantage. Here is a lesson in haggling.

Asking "How much?" is a good start. But, then you let the seller put you
immediately at a disadvantage. When he said, "I want her gone," you should
say something like, "How badly do you want her gone, what's your price?"
Then keep after him until he names a price. Then act a little shocked even
if the price is very low. Then make him a very low counter offer. Then await
his reply. Chances are he'll try to up at least half way. It is your job to
hem and haw and stand pat and make him come down to your level or close to
it. In other words always position yourself to be the one to set the price.
But, don't criticize the boat. Praise it instead. Don't say how you are
going to have to spend a lot of money upgrading it. Say things like, "She's
a real beauty, I really love your boat, she's just what I'm looking for but
I just can't afford any more than that for her. Oh, is there any chances you
could give me a couple sailing lessons on her as part of the deal?" Being a
woman you can use your feminine wiles to cast a spell over him. Make him
want to make you happy. The better looking you are the better this will
work. I'm sure you know how to flirt.

The way you described it the offer you gave might well be more than what he
was planning to get for it. Of course he would jump right on it and then
it's too late to haggle. Get it, honey?

Good luck.

Wilbur Hubbard

Roller reefing Gordon Cruising 13 August 25th 05 03:04 PM
Roller furling versus roller reefing Scott General 9 August 15th 05 02:19 PM
Best brush, roller Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 3 July 15th 05 01:46 AM
Roller bunks? Nick UK Power Boats 7 February 6th 04 12:34 AM
Roller Furlings Rob General 6 July 29th 03 05:40 PM