Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Adding bow roller and other thoughts

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message
snip

You say "how much" and the seller says "I want her gone" and
you say xxx and he says "she is yours"..

Remember;; this isn't happening just yet,, could happen in two weeks
though..

snip

This reply is in the "other thoughts" category. The scenario above puts you,
the buyer, at a disadvantage. Here is a lesson in haggling.

Asking "How much?" is a good start. But, then you let the seller put you
immediately at a disadvantage. When he said, "I want her gone," you should
say something like, "How badly do you want her gone, what's your price?"
Then keep after him until he names a price. Then act a little shocked even
if the price is very low. Then make him a very low counter offer. Then await
his reply. Chances are he'll try to up at least half way. It is your job to
hem and haw and stand pat and make him come down to your level or close to
it. In other words always position yourself to be the one to set the price.
But, don't criticize the boat. Praise it instead. Don't say how you are
going to have to spend a lot of money upgrading it. Say things like, "She's
a real beauty, I really love your boat, she's just what I'm looking for but
I just can't afford any more than that for her. Oh, is there any chances you
could give me a couple sailing lessons on her as part of the deal?" Being a
woman you can use your feminine wiles to cast a spell over him. Make him
want to make you happy. The better looking you are the better this will
work. I'm sure you know how to flirt.

The way you described it the offer you gave might well be more than what he
was planning to get for it. Of course he would jump right on it and then
it's too late to haggle. Get it, honey?

Good luck.

Wilbur Hubbard