Default Adding bow roller and other thoughts

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:59:32 -0600, Richard

If there is a good samson post and a decent fairlead for the chain, a
bow roller on a sub 30' yacht is a luxury that wont make recovering the
anchor significantly easier without a windlass.

Baloney.

My very petite wife could not get the anchor up without the bow
roller. With it, she manages quite well, even when we need to make
more than one attempt to get a good set. Bow rollers are relatively
inexpensive and make a substantial difference.

True enough.

But mounting one solidly is not a job for a newbie.

That is quite another subject.

On Dec 10, 4:28 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:59:32 -0600, Richard

If there is a good samson post and a decent fairlead for the chain, a
bow roller on a sub 30' yacht is a luxury that wont make recovering the
anchor significantly easier without a windlass.

Baloney.

My very petite wife could not get the anchor up without the bow
roller. With it, she manages quite well, even when we need to make
more than one attempt to get a good set. Bow rollers are relatively
inexpensive and make a substantial difference.

True enough.
But mounting one solidly is not a job for a newbie.

That is quite another subject.

In a warm climate, a bimini is an absolute must. This is not a matter
of convenience, it is actual safety equipment to prevent you from
getting melanoma.
I put an anchor roller on my 28' boat and rarely use it, not
necessary.
Roller furling is really nice but sail her a lot before you do. Then
buy a CDI furler and install it yourself.
Best thing to buy is a set of the auto-inflate lifejackets, a strobe
for each and an EPIRB that attaches to one of them. Nobody will tend
to wear a regular life jacket in any heat whereas they will wear the
auto-inflate ones. Be sure you get ones with a built in harness to
attach to jacklines.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Dec 10, 4:28 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:59:32 -0600, Richard

If there is a good samson post and a decent fairlead for the chain, a
bow roller on a sub 30' yacht is a luxury that wont make recovering
the
anchor significantly easier without a windlass.

Baloney.

My very petite wife could not get the anchor up without the bow
roller. With it, she manages quite well, even when we need to make
more than one attempt to get a good set. Bow rollers are relatively
inexpensive and make a substantial difference.

True enough.
But mounting one solidly is not a job for a newbie.

That is quite another subject.

snipped.
I put an anchor roller on my 28' boat and rarely use it, not
necessary.

snipped

A 28/30' yacht needs an anchor of at least 25 lb if you are going to use it
for other than a 'lunch hook'. Then you need at least several feet of chain
to ensure the rode comes into the anchor as near horizontally as possible.
Of course you need an anchor roller to get that up without rubbing over the
gunwale of your boat especially with the chain.
Are you going to lean over the side and try and pull it up hand over hand
without rubbing the side of the boat with rope or chain? And how will you
break out an anchor that has really dug in deep?
Of course you need an anchor roller on boats that size and even smaller.
You never know when you are going to need your anchor really badly and it is
essential to have a proper setup.

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
On Dec 10, 4:28 pm, wrote:
[...]

Need and damn good idea is quite a different kettle of fish. I think you can
do all of the above without a roller, but why would you want to...

You could transfer the rode to the stern to upend the flukes as you pull
forward with more rode let out... not that I've tried it.
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow roller
and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow roller
and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

SWAG - $150/hour x 5 ?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow
roller and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

SWAG - $150/hour x 5 ?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Before making any statements I'll be nice to know the boat type, its
electric system and what have you been using for anchor so far.
Denis M

"Denis M" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow
roller and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

SWAG - $150/hour x 5 ?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Before making any statements I'll be nice to know the boat type, its
electric system and what have you been using for anchor so far.
Denis M

It's sort of like asking how long it takes to get from NY to London. Depends
on the mode of travel. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:40:12 -0600, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow roller
and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

The amount of work is going to vary a great deal depending on the boat
and exactly what equipment you decide on. If you want the windlass to
self-retrieve the anchor without risk of damage to the boat, you will
probably need to mount the roller on some sort of bow pulpit or
extension. That can entail some considerable bracing to get it
strong enough depending on your boat, anchor and bow configuration.

wrote:

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow roller
and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

The amount of work is going to vary a great deal depending on the boat
and exactly what equipment you decide on. If you want the windlass to
self-retrieve the anchor without risk of damage to the boat, you will
probably need to mount the roller on some sort of bow pulpit or
extension. That can entail some considerable bracing to get it
strong enough depending on your boat, anchor and bow configuration.

The best thing is to have it done by the boat builder. That what I did.
It cost around $2500 without a wireless remote control.
The cost on a pre-owned boat is anyone's guess.
If you do it yourself you may, with luck, get away with approx. $2500 -
$3500?
What my friend did is to install a manual windlass for a fraction of the
cost.

Roller reefing Gordon Cruising 13 August 25th 05 03:04 PM
Roller furling versus roller reefing Scott General 9 August 15th 05 02:19 PM
Best brush, roller Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 3 July 15th 05 01:46 AM
Roller bunks? Nick UK Power Boats 7 February 6th 04 12:34 AM
Roller Furlings Rob General 6 July 29th 03 05:40 PM