Gordon

Default Roller reefing

Most jib systems have two slots for 2 sails. How many cruisers actually
use 2 jibs that often. Why don't the makers make single slot options
(besides Profurl)?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Steve

I have a Harken furler system which has the double luff tape slots.. I have
never noted any advantage or disadvantage to have one or two slots.

I have two head sails that are of near identical size and have considered
trying this for downwind sailing, rather than a spinniker. In thinking this
out, a person would have to hoist both on the head swivel and then adjust
the clew pennant at the swivel on the furler drum. The most difficult part
would be to feed both at the sametime. Shouldn't be to difficult if you had
a pre-feeder for each (about 25-30 bucks each).

If your not interested in setting such a sail(s) then I can't see any
disadvantage to having the extra slot. For me it doesn't bother me since I
try to leave a half or full turn on the foil (to take the strain off the
luff tape).

Besides, kinda nice to have the extra groove incase one gets 'buggered up'
or fouled buy ripped out luff tape.

I'm not loosing any sleep over it. (well I guess I am, since it is near mid
nite)

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

Jeff

Steve wrote:
I have a Harken furler system which has the double luff tape slots.. I have
never noted any advantage or disadvantage to have one or two slots.

I also have a Harken. I suppose I paid a few bucks extra for the
double slot, but I figure it might survive some damage that would do
in a single slot system.

Funny, I've never carried more than one jib, so I never thought about
raising two. Of course, the boat I owned the longest was a Nonsuch,
and virtually all of my racing was in small boats, so this is no surprise!

I have two head sails that are of near identical size and have considered
trying this for downwind sailing, rather than a spinniker. In thinking this
out, a person would have to hoist both on the head swivel and then adjust
the clew pennant at the swivel on the furler drum. The most difficult part
would be to feed both at the sametime. Shouldn't be to difficult if you had
a pre-feeder for each (about 25-30 bucks each).

Why do both have to be on the swivel? This would allow both to be
wound up, but couldn't you simply hoist the second after the first is
up, and lower when you're done? Or am I missing something?

If your not interested in setting such a sail(s) then I can't see any
disadvantage to having the extra slot. For me it doesn't bother me since I
try to leave a half or full turn on the foil (to take the strain off the
luff tape).

yup.
Besides, kinda nice to have the extra groove incase one gets 'buggered up'
or fouled buy ripped out luff tape.

yup.
I'm not loosing any sleep over it. (well I guess I am, since it is near mid
nite)

yup.

Aleck

Hi guys,

The answer is much simpler than you might expect. If you were racing boys
then you would know that the twin foil is used to change a head sail size
whilst under way without loss of down time. i.e. hoist it inside the
existing head sail. Why don't they just reef?? I hear you say. Well you'd
spoil the leading edge into the wind with a bulky roll of sail. Me, I just
cruise with a single track roller reefing set up.

regards Aleck

"Gordon" wrote in message
Most jib systems have two slots for 2 sails. How many cruisers actually
use 2 jibs that often. Why don't the makers make single slot options
(besides Profurl)?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,

and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Steve

Nah! To answer both:

You can only hoist two sails on the foil it you attach them both to the
upper swivel at the same time. What a mess if you tried to hoist the second
one on a separate halyard.

The Harken (my model) has a swivel at the head of the sail and one just
above the furler drum. This allows the foil to be rotated and take in the
sail by its luff tape. (drum drives the foil, not the clew/head swivel) This
makes for a better setting luff when partially reefed down.

A sail that is reefed down by simply rotating the clew and head (and luff
tape tension) will have a baggy shaped luff due to the loose sail material
just behind the luff tape.

IMHO. A modern roller furler that is to act as a roller reefing system
should have a head swivel and a clew swivel for the reasons stated.

My opinion, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Gordon" wrote in message
Most jib systems have two slots for 2 sails. How many cruisers actually
use 2 jibs that often. Why don't the makers make single slot options
(besides Profurl)?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,

and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Steve

Wow! What a brain Fart!

I have been using the sail term 'clew' when I really meant 'TACK' ..

I really know the difference and want to correct my error before the whole
group Flames Me!

Steve

"Gordon" wrote in message
Most jib systems have two slots for 2 sails. How many cruisers
actually
use 2 jibs that often. Why don't the makers make single slot options
(besides Profurl)?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,

and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
the clew pennant at the swivel on the furler drum. The most difficult part

Should be "Tack Pennant" rather than "Clew Pennant".

Sorry, it was mid nite.

Steve

Aleck

Thanks for the comment and correction Steve. Maybe I jumped in too soon.
I don't have sufficient knowledge of the various roller reefing systems to
be sure but assume some systems do allow use of both tracks otherwise why
are they present. I'll make enquiries of my racing friends when I'm next at
the boat.
regards Aleck

"Gordon" wrote in message
Most jib systems have two slots for 2 sails. How many cruisers
actually
use 2 jibs that often. Why don't the makers make single slot options
(besides Profurl)?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and

thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Terry Spragg

Aleck wrote:

Thanks for the comment and correction Steve. Maybe I jumped in too soon.
I don't have sufficient knowledge of the various roller reefing systems to
be sure but assume some systems do allow use of both tracks otherwise why
are they present. I'll make enquiries of my racing friends when I'm next at
the boat.
regards Aleck

There are two slots because it became a competitive issue, and it
costs the same to produce one slot as two, though sellers would
charge extra for two if they could.

I cannot see actually using both much, given that furler users are
apparently too lazy to understand or utilize the advantages of hanks.

Terry K

Don White

Steve wrote:
Wow! What a brain Fart!

I have been using the sail term 'clew' when I really meant 'TACK' ..

I really know the difference and want to correct my error before the whole
group Flames Me!

Steve

Thanks for clearing that up!
I thought there was some kind of new-fangled hardware out there and
couldn't figure out how it worked.

Roller Reefing Gordon Cruising 1 August 19th 05 01:18 AM
Roller Furling Jack Jamison Cruising 3 June 30th 05 06:02 AM
WTB:Famet Roller Furling in California. Eric Marketplace 0 April 12th 04 11:44 PM
Single Line reefing trey Cruising 8 December 31st 03 06:55 PM
Single line reefing trey General 1 December 30th 03 04:16 PM