Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Adding bow roller and other thoughts

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 03:13:55 GMT, "Janet O'Leary"
wrote:

Ok,, there you are .. standing there, at a marina. A 30' cruising sailboat
is
right in front of you. She is in good shape, but very plain.

She does not have roller furling, bow roller with appropriate anchor,
.. just a whole bunch of stuff.

But:: she is solid, clean, she has been surveyed recently and
there is no wet deck or hull .. the engine runs good ..

You say "how much" and the seller says "I want her gone" and
you say xxx and he says "she is yours"..

Remember;; this isn't happening just yet,, could happen in two weeks
though..

I would not do anything expensive until I had sailed the boat a bit -
enough to determine that it suited my intended use.

A bow roller does make retrieving the anchor easier, but should not be
essential on a 30 ft boat.

If the sails are questionable, I would take them to a sailmaker for
evaluation, rather than immediately ordering new sails.

Ensure that the boat meets legal requirements - here in Canada, we
need a PFD or lifejacket of appropriate size for each person on board,
and anchor and 50 ft of rode, distress flares, and some other items -
I expect the USCG has similar requirements.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca