Default Adding bow roller and other thoughts

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow
roller and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

SWAG - $150/hour x 5 ?

This whole thing is a troll. Who has ever seen a 38' sailboat without a bow
roller?

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Janet O'Leary" wrote in message

Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow
roller and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

SWAG - $150/hour x 5 ?

This whole thing is a troll. Who has ever seen a 38' sailboat without a
bow roller?

Never. Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again.
LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

Never. Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled
again. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thank you, Mr. President. :-D

wrote in message
"jlrogers±³©" wrote:
Anyone know the cost (approximately) of having a yard install a bow
roller
and electric/manual windless to a 38 foot boat?

There is zero point in installing a manual windlass IMHO. It's just as
heavy, just as big a line-snagger & toe-breaker, and will be slow &
awkward getting the anchor aboard. It's better than nothing, but just
barely.

An electric windlass worth getting is going to be $2K plus, so you can
figure boat yard installation will be in the neighborhood of 2X and
up.

I put a windlass in by myself, it's not difficult.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Agreed, especially since a 38' boat may carry a 45# CQR plus a good deal of
chain. If there is already a manual windlass installed on an older boat, and
it's been used and maintained, replacing it with an electric windlass would
be an option/judgment call. But with none onboard already, electric would
definitely be the way to go.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 19:54:29 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

with none onboard already, electric would
definitely be the way to go.

The ideal solution is electric with a provision for manual backup.
Unfortunately windlasses do fail from time to time just like any other
piece of electro-mechanical equipment. It is important to have some
alternative for getting the anchor up if necessary, especially
important if you have a heavy anchor with an all chain rode. On a 50
footer with a properly sized anchor and all chain rode it is virtually
impossible to bring up the ground tackle by hand. I carry a
come-along rated at 3,000 lbs for that kind of emergency:

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...able_large.jpg

They are readily available at Lowes and Home Depot for reasonable
prices.

wrote:

with none onboard already, electric would
definitely be the way to go.

The ideal solution is electric with a provision for manual backup.
Unfortunately windlasses do fail from time to time just like any other
piece of electro-mechanical equipment. It is important to have some
alternative for getting the anchor up if necessary, especially
important if you have a heavy anchor with an all chain rode. On a 50
footer with a properly sized anchor and all chain rode it is virtually
impossible to bring up the ground tackle by hand. I carry a
come-along rated at 3,000 lbs for that kind of emergency:

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...able_large.jpg

They are readily available at Lowes and Home Depot for reasonable
prices.

Though the come-along shown might be good, be careful about quality.
Cheapos are prone to breaking/bending, especially the handles.
I'd prefer an "industrial" version. A 40-80 year old heavy sucker
found at a flea market or garage sale might be the ticket.

--Vic

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:27:12 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you are right for heavy duty usage, but for my purposes the
cheapo gets used so infrequently that it will probably last forever.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

Default Thank you Mr. President (was Adding bow roller and other thoughts)

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

Never. Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled
again. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thank you, Mr. President. :-D

Ha ha, good one, Karin. But . . .

"President no more! Haven't you heard? Gaynze got fired... Got his wittle
butt kicked right out the door.

http://www.sailsea.org/

Be sure to read the whole thing, (it's a riot) be sure to expand (open
button) the letters towards the bottom and read them too. Once a netkop
always a netkop.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

Never. Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled
again. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thank you, Mr. President. :-D

Ha ha, good one, Karin. But . . .

"President no more! Haven't you heard? Gaynze got fired... Got his
wittle butt kicked right out the door.

http://www.sailsea.org/

Be sure to read the whole thing, (it's a riot) be sure to expand (open
button) the letters towards the bottom and read them too. Once a netkop
always a netkop.

Wilbur Hubbard

Did you see the other recent discussions about the same thing? Somebody else
stoled your thunder.

Cheers,
Gwen Ives

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

Never. Fool me once.... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled
again. LOL

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thank you, Mr. President. :-D

Har.. I was thinking a combination of Bush and The Who.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Roller reefing Gordon Cruising 13 August 25th 05 03:04 PM
Roller furling versus roller reefing Scott General 9 August 15th 05 02:19 PM
Best brush, roller Robert or Karen Swarts Boat Building 3 July 15th 05 01:46 AM
Roller bunks? Nick UK Power Boats 7 February 6th 04 12:34 AM
Roller Furlings Rob General 6 July 29th 03 05:40 PM